Derwent netball bounce back to form

Derwent, the defending champions, returned to form on Sunday with a 13-8 win over Vanbrugh in the College Netball

Photograph by Justyn Hardcastle

Photograph by Justyn Hardcastle

Last term’s champions Derwent returned to form with a comfortable 13-8 victory over Vanbrugh in an intriguing day for College Netball.

It was a good way for Derwent to bounce back having lost last time out against James. Goal Attack Margaret Edwards spearheaded her side’s efforts, punishing Vanbrugh for every defensive lapse to cap an impressive team display. Edwards was illusive throughout and thus was rewarded with plenty of time and space to convert her opportunities.

Despite missing captain Ciara Masterson and going behind in the early stages, Derwent fought valiantly. After Edwards converted a free shot to level the scores they were always in the ascendancy and their confidence will be restored after last week’s nervous showing.

Earlier in the day, Halifax were also successful as they routed Goodricke 21-9. Last term’s runners-up were imperious throughout and did little to suggest that Derwent will be able to rest on their laurels. Goodricke, perhaps fatigued after their walk from Heslington East, looked jaded from the off and never really threatened Halifax’s dominance.

More likely though they were simply outclassed by one of College Netball’s superior teams, who seem certain to have some say in the outcome of this term’s league. Goodricke will not be disheartened despite the heavy defeat, as their resilience was only rendered ineffective by some clinical Halifax finishing.
The second game of the day, between last term’s third place finishers Alcuin and Langwith, was a tight and scrappy affair riddled with errors. Langwith eventually took the spoils overcoming their opponents 11-6 in a game that could easily have gone either way.

The game might not have been as high scoring as the other two but there was no shortage of drama as on more than one occasion the game was delayed after players were struck in the face. Alcuin will be disappointed, as they would have hoped to build upon their impressive showing last term. Perhaps this victory for Langwith will signal an upturn in their fortunes as they seek to break into the top three this term.

Two certain sports reporters were happy to see that Vanbrugh did not mount a late fight back as, having been asked to time keep, they accidentally allowed an extra minute of play. Fortunately for them Derwent saw to it that their error did not become a major talking point.

Something that was a point of interest for the players and indeed reporters/time keepers was the fact there were only three games. The clash between Wentworth and James did not take place; something that would have undoubtedly annoyed James, buoyed by their success over Derwent last week.
Today showed the usual suspects will once again be challenging for the title this term. Derwent’s Goal Attack Margaret Edwards was definitely the star of the day as her class shone out for all to see.