Triple Yorkshire League success for Hockey Club

Comprehensive wins for the men’s firsts and seconds, plus the women’s seconds, over the weekend boosted York’s chances of promotion in the local league

Billy Walsh, pictured here in BUCS action against Durham, was central to many of the firsts' training ground routines against Leeds University. Photograph by Justyn Hardcastle

The University Hockey Club’s stranglehold on the Yorkshire League grows ever tighter following three impressive displays over the weekend.

The men’s first team produced an excellent display to dispatch Leeds University thirds 4-0 and move into second position in their division, a promotion berth. Andy Harris, Rob Newton, on his return from injury, Nick Latcham and Dan Alder were on the scoresheet as the coaching techniques instilled by new club coach Roz Ramzi were translated onto the pitch. The third goal was the clearest example of this; with Billy Walsh driving at the opposition ‘D’ before pulling the ball back to Luke Featherstone, who in turn fed the onrushing Latcham to finish.

The firsts, who return to BUCS action on Wednesday with a cup fixture at Sheffield University, have now registered ten wins, three draws and only one loss in the Yorkshire League, leaving them well positioned for an assault on the title.

Meanwhile, a 5-0 thrashing of Wakefield fifths cemented the seconds’ position at the top of the table, goals from Will Fresson, Adam Tyrell, Adam Douglas and Joe Lancaster (2) ensuring a comfortable afternoon’s work. Alex Alonso, on debut, picked up the man of the match accolade with an accomplished display at right-back, while Fresson’s link-up play and the midfield movement of Joe Walsh and Lancaster were also highlights.

A formidable display from the women’s seconds capped off the successful weekend as they crushed Halifax fourths 6-0 to remain in the promotion shake-up. Goals from Cat Johnson, Kate Dewar, Sammi Spencer (2) and Sophie Williams (2) provided the rewards in a high-tempo performance which reflected the team’s growing confidence.

The women’s first team are also in BUCS Cup action on Wednesday, with an intriguing local derby at York St. John.

Thanks to Sophie Hossack, UYHC Female President