Football fourths’ epic comeback stuns Huddersfield

Three-nil down inside ten minutes, the UYAFC fourths battled back in impressive style to shock Huddersfield and make it three wins from four

Photographs by Peter Iveson

Photographs by Peter Iveson

UNIVERSITY OF YORK FOURTHS 4
UNIVERSITY OF HUDDERSFIELD SECONDS 3

BUCS League 6D – Wednesday 20th January

A superb second-half fightback by UYAFC fourths put an end to top-of-the-table Huddersfield’s unbeaten record this season. Huddersfield boasted an impressive four wins from four games going in to the game and looked likely to extend it after they raced ahead to 3-0 lead within the first ten minutes of the game. However, York refused to give in and produced their best display of the season which moved them up to third in the league and able to push for a top two finish.

York could not have had a worse start when the table toppers raced to a 3-0 lead within the first ten minutes. York, rusty from the Christmas break, failed to deal with a Huddersfield corner and the ball ended up in the home net after a scramble in the area. The fourths, not learning their lesson, soon went two goals behind when they pushed up the pitch and Huddersfield quickly countered, leaving Matt Whelan against a Huddersfield striker who got the best of him and then slotted past goalkeeper Wynd. More misery was piled onto York a minute later when Whelan’s centre-back partner Jonny Hyde went walkabout and allowed Huddersfield’s centre midfielder to run straight through and make it 3-0 with no time gone at all.

With UYAFC’s unbeaten home record in serious danger, York gave themselves a glimmer of hope just before half-time. Huddersfield’s attacks had dried up and York got a foothold in the game. York’s first chance fell to Phil Taylor which required a good save from Huddersfield’s goal keeper. However, the ‘keeper was helpless to stop Taylor a few minutes later when he battled through their defence and the stopper no chance with his second goal of the season.

York went in to half-time staring defeat in the face but inspirational words from Captain Collins and York went out determined to turn the game around. Then, ten minutes into the second-half, York reduced the deficit to just one when Collins sent through James Offord, who was upended in the box and then put away the resulting penalty.

York 4ths vs H'field 2nds football - 20/1/10 - Peter Iveson IMG_0162

Collins made three changes and the fresh legs helped to York to push for a result. Chris Hammer and Tom Prifti were not afraid to get struck in and added more grit and determination. York kept up the pressure and with 10 minutes to go they were rewarded when Offord had his shot saved, after doing all the hard work, and the ball fell kindly to Ben Stanier who made no mistake with an excellent finish.

York could sense victory and did not sit back after their equaliser. With five minutes to go the comeback was complete when Taylor got his second goal of the game with a tap-in to make the score 4-3. York then defended like beavers but Huddersfield didn’t let York have it all their own way when they missed a glorious chance at the death, Wynd happy to see it go over.

A special mention to the back four John Carroll, Matt Whelan, Johnny Hyde and Sam Mellor who dealt with the Huddersfield attack brilliantly after the initial mistakes. But the man of the match goes to top goal scorer Phil Taylor whose two goals and attacking play were instrumental in York’s third win in four games.

York 4ths vs H'field 2nds football - 20/1/10 - Peter Iveson IMG_0177

1. College Firsts had been called off by the time this picture was taken