YUSU Elections 2010 – Here we go again

What a difference an election term can make.

A year ago, Tim Ngwena was running around organising cast lists and fundraisers for Fusion, Rhianna Kinchin was busy ‘training’, and Lewis Bretts’ dream of a fruit and veg stall were simply dreams. Alas, in the latter’s case, they still seem to be. Two years ago, Tom Scott was just a nerd with a pirate fetish, who enjoyed experimenting with damaging musical instruments and cared little for University Senate. Perhaps next year’s Glorious Leader is currently doing something similarly hilarious.

Welcome to the new, elections-focused, Off The Record blog. Unshackled from my Editorial chains and yet still refusing to quietly skulk back to my desk and the ever-growing mountain of books that await me, my aim is to chart all the rumours, counter-rumours, scandals and surprises from the 2010 YUSU Election cycle, and hopefully equip voters with all they need to go to the polls in Week 9.

This is all too early, you may scoff. Quite – I’d certainly agree with you. But I can’t control Presidential hopefuls who are already buttonholing potential rivals for ‘chats’ in The Courtyard, or warn would-be AU Presidents that broadcasting their electability so soon might bore the electorate to death come March.

For some, this year’s vote has been 3 years in the pipeline. YUSU careerists, those earth-shakingly-boring few, want to nail their colours to the mast as soon as possible, having dreamt of the trappings of office since their first trip to the buliding they hope to call ‘home’. Out to derail their lofty ambitions, the have-a-go-heroes with nothing to lose and a student loan to pay off fight policy with glossy posters and gimmicks.
Some fail valiantly, some fail abysmally, and some defy conventional wisdom. Note to candidates – claiming that you’re rich enough not to need a salary is an awful idea.

For the next 6 weeks or so, this will be the place to track the rise and rise of your next YUSU squad, and commend the also-rans.

Got a rumour, or want to plug yourself? Fire me an email at [email protected] and it might just make it in.

Some might seem far-fetched, but let’s face it; if students at a Top 10 University can elect a pirate as a President, surely anything can happen. Stay tuned.

YUSU Elections – Provisional timetable

Information Meeting for Potential Candidates – 1800 18th February (Wk 6)
Nominations Open – 1200 Monday 15th February (Wk 6)
Nominations Close – 1200 Friday 26th February (Wk 7)
Compulsory Candidates Briefing (Loc. TBC) – 1800 Monday 1st March (Wk 8 )
Campaigning Begins – 1200 Tuesday 2nd March (Wk 8 )
Voting Opens – 0001 Monday 8th March (Wk 9)
Voting Closes – 2359 Friday 12th March (Wk 9)
Exit Polls Released – 1800 Saturday 13th March
Results Announced from 2000 Saturday 13th March

1. Zeenat 4 Prezeedent!

2. Careful with the link to Tom Langrish – there’s an extra http in there.

Note by moderator: Cheers

3. Just would like to say to vote for me. I’ll promise to bring a pharmacy on campus!

4. Got a few rumours knocking around:

President: Roberto Powell, Ollie Hutchings, David Levene, Tim Ngwena
    Democracy and Services: Dan Walker, Joe Rankin, Sam Daniels
    Academic Affairs: Jason Rose, Sam Asfaharni, Oliver Lester
    Student Activities: Chris Etheridge, Luke Malkin, Nick Scarlett, Hannah Barwick-Walters
    Welfare: Peter Warner-Medley, Kate Taylor, Sam Houlders
    York Sport: Adam Shergold, Alex Muntus, Izzy Miller

5. I heard Rob Newton for York Sport…

6. If ‘big name’ Kate Taylor decides to run for Welfare instead of taking the fantastic grad scheme that has been offered to her, I will never speak to her again. An unlikely candidate – to say the least!
    @Rumour Mill: more plausible rumours please.

7. I’m with ‘disbelief’ here- Taylor would be insane to turn down her grad scheme. Jason Rose is a sure thing to run for Academic Affairs, but I’ve heard Muntus and Miller are dropping out of the race to clear the way for the (very popular) Adam Shergold…

8. 26 Jan ’10 at 5:49 pm

Kate Taylor for President

Infact – Kate Taylor for all six.

9. 26 Jan ’10 at 5:58 pm

Kate Taylor for President

I hear Kate cant wait to work with Democracy and Services candidate Tom Flynn

10. Academic affairs?! ROFL!

I’m not running, I’m afraid. It’s all about the love for your college, not YUSU. If Derwent Rep was an option, I would consider it. Allow YUSU.

PS Kate Taylor for President!

PPS Sam Houlders for Chancellor!

11. Word on the street (other than those already mentioned):

President: Dani Fill (following in the footsteps of her fella)
    D&S: Tom Flynn
    Academic: Martin Mulligan
    York Sport: James Menon (of Lacrosse/Cheerleader Fame)

12. Christian Reid Milligan for YUSU President…. He may be anonymous to most of you but he has YUSU fame in mind! The three P’s represent Christian… Pride, Power and Protein!

13. If Mulligan got Academic Officer I can safely say the world would be a better place

14. To quote the famous Sherman pledge:

If drafted, I will not run; if nominated, I will not accept; if elected, I will not serve.

15. I think Olly Lester should consider running. It’s about time a College Chair makes President again.

16. Sherman pledge didn’t stop Alex Salmond in 2004 running for leadership: (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3895575.stm).

My money’s on Tom Flynn for president. And you know what? I’d vote for him. I’ve heard he’s already set up a facebook group and done his usual ‘make-an-A0-sized-poster-out-of-many-little-A4-sized-posters’ trick that he learnt from Neil Buchanan on Art Attack!

17. How reliable may the various rumours be? Only when an individual confirms or denies it may it be deemed true; many of the unknowns or even big names are likely to drop out if they haven’t got many ideas and see powerhouses against them. People who are second years may decide that they don’t know enough about YUSU to run yet and so run for non-Sabb roles instead. It’s all still very much up in the air!

18. I hear rumours that David Clarke is considering standing for democracy and services officer.

19. Vote this chump Henry for death.

20. Steve Miller for Prez?

21. The many small posters into one big poster trick came from a much more surprising source believe me. It was extremely unexpected. Like finding out a baby chimp can speak. Or make loads of little posters into a big poster. In fact, you’d probably back the chimp.

22. I don’t know this Phil Garlick chap but I think he’s got the right idea. Miller for the win.

23. Houlders is not running for welfare. He’s going to India with his girlfriend.
    Completely agree with the above though, Steve Miller FTW!

24. Just spoken to the man himself. Miller: “Im going to go for it”.

Join the REVOLUTION.

Change we can believe in. Miller 4 Prez 2010

25. ‘going to India with his girlfriend?’

That’s a euphemism for ‘running for welfare rep’, if i ever heard one!

26. Phil: You’ve inspired me:

http://tinyurl.com/millerobama

MILLER: CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN! IT’S MILLER TIME!

27. Adam Shergold seems a likely candidate. I have literally no basis for this whatsoever.

Pretty sure David Clarke will run for something, probably another part time posish.

I’d vote for Tommy Flynn, but I suspect he has far too much self respect for this sort of shenanigans.

Ultimately, its all about who you know. Or more specifically, the more people recognise your name, the more likely you are to win.

p.s. please can we make a Derwent Rep position to retain the student gold that is Oliver Lester.