Men’s badminton send out uncompromising message ahead of Roses

The badminton firsts didn’t show Lancaster any mercy on Wednesday afternoon, not dropping a rubber on the way to an 8-0 rout

Photograph by Sam Newsome

Photograph by Sam Newsome

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 8
UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER 0

BUCS League 1A – Wednesday 20th January

York steamrolled their way to a mightily impressive win over rivals Lancaster earlier today. With Roses on the horizon, the side laid down a marker to their opposition and the comfortable nature of the result did not exaggerate York’s dominance, not dropping a game en route to their resounding 8-0 victory.

Captain Jamie Hor was in confident mood going in to the game with the side approaching something near full fitness. The side has been riddled with injuries all year and even today Patrick Clarke and James Davies were playing whilst not 100%. Following the victory, Hor praised the efforts of Clarke and Davies; “James and Paddy (Clarke) managed to win two despite their injuries, which is credit to them”.

20100120_Nouse Sport_Badminton 1sts_Sam Newsome_MG_2051

Lancaster will not be looking forward to facing this York side again at Roses during the summer term following today’s 8-0 loss. Photograph by Sam Newsome.

York got off to a comfortable start with Nut Tritasavit putting in a much-improved performance to win his game 21-12, 21-19. Hor himself played very nicely to dispose of Lancaster’s number one singles man Ben Kyffin 21-15, 21-12. This put York in a dominant position after the first two singles clashes and only some issues surrounding the flight of the shuttlecock had threatened to delay York’s authority. This was an especially good start for York who tend to be less strong in the singles format of the game. Hor said “It was a good day for singles, which was nice, we’ve found some form recently”.

Ricky Kanabar and Tom Gatenby were their usual model of consistency disposing of opponents Phil Roberts and Jonny Holland 21-14, 21-12. Clarke and Davies battled hard to beat Neil Rylander and Phil Roberts 22-20, 21-19 and at the halfway point of the match York were well in the ascendancy at 4-0.

20100120_Nouse Sport_Badminton 1sts_Sam Newsome_MG_2049

York’s doubles pairings – Tom Gatenby/Ricky Kanabar and Patrick Clarke and James Davies – were flawless in today’s match. Photograph by Sam Newsome.

Tritasavit kept the momentum firmly in the hosts’ favour with an impressive 21-10, 21-3 win over Lancaster’s number 1 singles player Ben Kyffin. Hor then made it hard for himself but still came out on top 26-24, 21-19. Lancaster were out of the match as a contest and their heads had dropped, meaning Kanabar & Gatenby (21-13, 21-18) and Clarke & Davies (22-20, 21-14) were able to wrap up the 8-0 victory for York.

Captain Hor was delighted with the victory, and was clearly in confident mood approaching Roses; “It was a good game and everyone played well. Ricky and Tom were, as ever, consistent”. Hor will be looking for his side to push on as they seek to climb away from the lower reaches of Northern Conference 1A and he will be hoping his side can remain fit as they battle to move up the league.