Wednesday Round-up: 20th January

The results from this afternoon’s sports action at the University of York

Photograph by Sam Newsome

Photograph by Sam Newsome

Sport at the University of York quietly entered the new decade with a low-key Wednesday afternoon of fixtures. Nouse summarises the main headlines from the action.

York rugby firsts took the field for the first time since early December and ended their run of two games without a win with an excellent 18-12 victory over Leeds Met Carnegie seconds. Two tries from the impressive Richard Bremner and another from Rory McGregor gave the home side a vital victory against an accomplished side who have already beaten York this season.

The win puts York in a good position to make a promotion push in the second half of the season as their remaining fixtures include three home matches on ‘Fortress’ 22 Acres and two away games against sides struggling with relegation, starting with the trip to Durham next week. Captain Alex Redshaw said: “We always aim for the top. Today we did fantastic work and it was a great win. Things look good for the second half [of the season].” The seconds capped a fine afternoon’s work for UYRUFC with a 23-21 win away to Sheffield University thirds, keeping them nicely in the promotion shake-up.

The football firsts ground out a 2-1 win in the second part of the afternoon’s double header against Leeds Met Carnegie seconds, sustaining their own promotion challenge in League 2B. First-half goals from Connor Brennan and Ian McKellow had York in a comfortable postition against a physical visiting side. However, a second-half penalty awarded for Greg Gardner’s handball meant a nervy finale for the hosts, who would have been grateful to hear the final whistle. Having now notched 40 goals in 11 matches in all competitions, the firsts now sit top of the standings, ahead of Sheffield University, the only team to have beaten them this season, on goal difference. “I’m absolutely delighted with today’s performance, but more importantly the result,” said Gardner afterwards. “The defence were absolutely brilliant for 80 minutes and were it not for Met’s fortunate penalty, I think we would have seen it out no problem.”

The seconds also hit the summit of League 5B with a clinical 3-0 win away to Teesside thirds. The fourths, meanwhile, were involved in a classic against Huddersfield seconds on the 22 Acres. 3-0 down in no time at all, Alex Collins’ side roared back to claim a 4-3 win against the odds.

The men’s volleyball match against Hull University was cancelled after the visitors failed to arrive on time, but there was plenty of badminton action, with great success for York’s teams. The men’s team didn’t drop a game in their 8-0 demolition of Lancaster University, with the most impressive individual performance coming from Nut Tritasavit, who saw off the visitor’s number one seed 21-10, 21-3. “I can’t wait for Roses,” quipped Captain James Hor afterwards. The women’s team, meanwhile, geared up for Varsity next month with a 7-1 rout of York St. John, making it two wins, two draws and one defeat in the league this season.

York’s table tennis side beat struggling Teesside 10-7, a first win of the season, to move off the bottom of League 1A. A home fixture against Roses rivals Lancaster next Wednesday looks likely to decide their fate.