York Ultimate hoping to build on positives from Kalingrad Open

Following a fifth place finish in this tournament, staged in the Tent last weekend, York’s Ultimate Frisbee team can look forward to forthcoming regional competitions and Roses

Photographs courtesy of York Ultimate

Photographs courtesy of York Ultimate

The Kalingrad Open was co-hosted by York Ultimate, the University of York’s Ultimate Frisbee team, in the sports tent at the weekend with the first team finishing fifth. York had two other teams in the tournament, finishing 10th and 17th.

Although the York-hosted tournament wasn’t won by a home team, each of the York teams came higher than they were seeded. York’s first team, nicknamed ‘Crime and Punishment’, finished four places higher than their seeding of ninth. York also entered a beginner’s team which finished 17th out of 20 teams. The tournament was eventually won by ‘Mustard’ from Norwich.

Jamie Abernethy, York Ultimate Captain, came out of the weekend with a smile on his face at how well his team had done. “All of the teams played fantastically,” Abernethy commented, going on to say that each team had improved every game. “The beginner’s team did really well finishing top of their pool. I’m pleased with their progress and think it’s full of players to watch out for the future.”

The weekend’s results also look good for York as the first team came ten places above the team from Lancaster. With pressure mounting on York’s sports teams to win a fourth successive Roses, news like this can only be welcomed.

Ultimate Frisbee 3

Despite missing out on a place in the top four by losing to ‘Curious Bacon’ from Leeds in the quarter finals 4-2, York’s first team beat ‘Pheonix Nights’ from Durham convincingly. Their reward was a tight match against ‘Discplace’, a team made up of up and coming Ultimate players who represent Great Britain at a junior level. Tension was high in this game as York had lost to the juniors on the first day of the tournament. However, York played an impressive zonal defence to close down their opponents and then hit them on the break numerous times to come out as 7-3 winners. This secured York’s final position of fifth in the tournament.

Another highlight of the tournament was the match between York 1 and York 2. The game was important in terms of placing, but also because of the personal pride and rivalry between the two teams made up of close knit players. David Butler, York Ultimate Vice-Captain, described the game as the best part of his weekend. “The game highlighted the strength and depth of the club” Butler noted. “They (York 2) would have won if a couple of things gone their way. We ground out a good result in the end though.”

Ultimate Frisbee 4

This good set of results comes after York’s Ultimate Women finished well at regionals and did the club proud at a national level. The club have got mixed regionals coming up in week three, so hopefully the team will do as well as they have so far this year. The future certainly is looking bright for this small, but up and coming club.

York 1 team: Jamie Abernethy, David Butler, Jack Mills, Dan Peet, Steve Eyre, Deborah Sharpe, Rachel McCulloch, Lola Denham, Laura Coull

York 2 team: Simon Fox, Hamish MacIver, Cameron Godfrey, Dave, Jamie, Beth Piastra, Jody Martin, Jess Bonham

York 3 team: Philip Edward Morrell, Gareth Berry, Enrique Solares, Matt Taylor, Chetan Padia, David Rodger