The One Show features University of York researchers

BBC One’s weekday magazine programme The One Show has recently featured the developments and ideas of researchers at the University of York’s Centre for Usable Home Technology (CUHTec).

Professor Andrew Monk of CUHTec gave a demonstration of new equipment for the show in December, including a tri-camera video tele-consultation device which is used by clinicians who need to use video conferencing in their day-to-day work.

Monk said: “Too many technologies and services are developed without considering the actual needs of real users. That’s why we start with users. Our research is to understand their needs thoroughly and then to use this understanding to devise new technologies that can help.”

The device specialises in giving a wide-angle view of the patient, a hand held wireless camera for close up views and a very wide-angle view of the whole room to show others in the room.

Monk pointed out that that technology is important to those of all ages and professions, and that only by truly understanding and undertaking the needs of users can helpful products be created.

The Responsive Home, a bungalow situated on the University of York campus, was used as the site for filming. CUHTec members, drawn from Departments of Computer Science, Psychology, Electronics and Sociology at the University of York, use the site as a laboratory and exhibition space.

CUHTec researchers work in close collaboration with all kinds of technology users but especially older and disabled people.