Student budgeting is being pushed to breaking point by Christmas

Unless we already have a job back home that allows seasonal work, trying to balance the amount of money we spend during Christmas just isn’t possible

We all got ourselves into the spirit of Christmas, whether it be simply by opening our advent calendars, going Christmas shopping, or decorating our flats with paper chains and handmade paper snowflakes. But despite all this joy we’re well aware of the troubles of Christmas too, mainly financial, as is particularly the case for us students.

It seems like travel ticket prices go sky high as soon as December arrives. For people who live down south, and I mean way down south, ticket prices can easily be in the region of £50 to £100. You would have thought that the train companies could have made student reductions given the number of us wanting to get home this Christmas. The University has tried to help with saving some money with this whole car- sharing scheme, but I’d be pretty scared getting into a car full of unknowns, having to travel god knows how many miles to get back home. I’d rather fork out lots of money than take the risk of jumping into a stranger’s car. Yet surely there could be cheaper methods?

Part of Christmas is the giving and receiving of presents, which is great, to an extent. It’s having to buy presents for flatmates you hardly like, or the aunt and uncle you only see during the holiday season which really brings the word debt, in big capital letters, to your front door.

This is made even harder because many of us don’t stay in York over Christmas, Easter and summer. So unless we already have a job back home that allows seasonal work, trying to balance the amount of money we spend during Christmas just isn’t possible. No wonder so many students are in debt!

Student loans are meant to help cover the things we need. But I don’t know about you, my loan just about paid for my accommodation and not much more. I know we’re in a recession and everything, but you would have thought the government would be trying to help students more. Firstly, I’m sure they want to go to university to get a degree, and secondly, actually allow students to be able to live on the money given. I personally know of students living off of £50 from week seven or eight, because the loan just hasn’t covered the whole term.

It just seems like there are a lot more troubles involved in the Christmas season than when we were younger.

1. I don’t agree with this at all – it’s perfectly simple to look around for better deals on travel (i.e. megabus from York to Kings Cross St Pancras with one day notice in Summer Term last year was £5). If you insist on buying a train ticket with a couple of weeks notice at most, then obviously you can expect to pay top dollar. And for those who end up living on £50 a week, that’s perfectly achievable – maybe go out one night a week less, buy own-brand groceries, it’s not difficult to do, it just takes a bit of forward thinking.