Ones to watch

Website: modcloth.com
Designer: Shakuhachi
Model: Lara Stone
Trend: Lace up Boot

Website: modcloth.com

modcloth

ModCloth.com is having a romantic moment. Originally founded by a husband and wife team with a love of eclectic clothing, the website has taken off and gained two new coveted sections. Firstly, the unusual “Be the Buyer” initiative. Simply, fashion lovers can vote on potential new products: the one that receives the most acclaim is put into production. If you choose to vote, you’ll receive an email so you can be the first to buy the item. Secondly,the pieces from the flattering and exclusive vintage section have been seen on the likes of Alexa Chung.

Designer: Shakuhachi

shakuhachi

Like Sass and Bide before them, Shakuhachi are making an impact all the way from Australia. Head designer Jessie White describes her inspiration as “creating clothes that stand out in details and quirkiness of shape,” and the high waists contrast with structured tops that appeared on the runaway at Australian Fashion Week proved the brand’s credentials. So what’s next? With new stockists opening in USA and the UK, it is only a matter of time before Shakuhachi becomes synonymous with the hard-hitters.

Model: Lara Stone

lara-stone

Lara Stone. Supermodel. This title has been cemented in the past month, with a Vogue cover and the praise “the icon the fashion world would never have admitted it was waiting for.” However, it was Stones’ recent French Vogue shoot that has caught the interest of the fashion world. Painted completely black, the shoot led to complaints from the French anti-racism group SOS. Carine Roitfield, Editor of French Vogue, quoted “Black is the new black,” which stood in contrast to one comment which read “readers should boycott Conde Nast publications.” However, ground-breaking shoots that spark controversy often become revisited images, so the fashion world is looking to Stone to see what she does next.

Trend: Lace up Boot

lace-up

We all go through the trauma of trying to choose winter staples: the coat, the boots… But by far the best approach to footwear this season is to think sporty, with an edge. The Chloé boots pictured stand out from the crowd as brown suede breaks away from the expected black, and the comfy but still noticeable wedges ensure comfort. Sienna Miller was recently spotted in similar (available from luvisaviamora.com), but a good alternative for those on a budget are TopShop’s ABLE boots, £40. Remember: think brown, or possibly grey, and laces are eye-catching yet practical.