Wednesday round-up: December 9th

A review of today’s results, in the last round of fixtures before the Christmas holidays

Action from the netball seconds match. Photograph by Peter Iveson

The sports teams of the University of York concluded a decade of action this afternoon, with the points gained and lost sure to have an impact on their respective BUCS Leagues. Nouse reviews the best of the action.

The netball firsts eased their relegation anxieties with a storming 35-28 victory against Newcastle thirds. York built on a solid opening, thanks largely to the accurate shooting of Goal Shooter Kay Masterson and effective defensive work of Goal Keeper Jenni Williams, to rack up the points and were well ahead at half-time. Newcastle, whose first period had been littered with needless mistakes and infringements, fought back bravely, but continued excellence from Masterson in attack and energetic marking from the Central players ensured York collected maximum points. Williams was deservedly announced woman-of-the-match, although there were several stand-out individuals. Liz Cowell, UYNC President, accredited the win to the confidence gained from Saturday’s 31-30 Northern League results against high-flying Durham Firsts.

Afterwards, the seconds got their promotion push back on track with a comprehensive 38-32 win over Newcastle fourths. A flawless shooting performance from Captain Sophia Sahin was the backbone of the result and, although the North-East University battled back in the final quarter, York were comfortable throughout and remain in touch with the leading teams in BUCS League 5B.

The men’s rugby firsts drew 7-7 against Sheffield Hallam firsts in a close and scrappy encounter on the 22 Acres. Peter Nathan grabbed the home side’s try, although York will be gutted not to have stolen a victory late on against the league leaders. Hallam winger Francis Denny had given his side the lead early in the secon period. Nonetheless, they remain unbeaten on their 22 Acres ‘fortress’ since 2007.

Rugby 1sts v Shef Hallam - Peter Iveson - 09/12/09 IMG_0147

Wednesday’s 7-7 draw with Sheffield Hallam means the rugby firsts finish the 2009 portion of the season with five wins, one draw and two defeats in League 1A. They resume with a home fixture with Leeds Met seconds on January 20th. Photograph by Peter Iveson.

The seconds were beaten 32-5 at home to York St. John, but the thirds defeated Teesside seconds 25-7 on the road. The women’s side also won, a 41-0 stuffing of York St. John making it 112 points scored without reply in their last two games.

The men’s football team are through to the last 16 of the BUCS Cup after thumping Teesside thirds 6-0 away from home. The free-scoring firsts have not netted 38 times in 10 matches this season, but must wait to learn their opponents in the next round. The thirds took their leave of the competition for another year, losing 2-1 away to Leeds University fourths, but the fourths, in BUCS League action, smashed Bradford 4-1. The women’s firsts were beaten 3-1 at home to Northumbria seconds, their second defeat against those opponents in seven days.

The men’s basketball team were beaten 74-66 by a Leeds University seconds side who exacted revenge for last week’s defeat in the reverse fixture. York battled back into contention after a disappointing first quarter, with Marcus Johansson impressing, but ultimately it proved insufficient as late penalties conceded pushed Leeds out of their reach. There was better news for the women’s team, however, as they won 58-17 at Sheffield Hallam, a result which means York have scored 194 points in just two matches against the Steel City university.

Basketball v. Leeds, 20091209, Rachel Elgar, 2

The Leeds defence can only look on in admiration as Sergio Black sinks a two-pointer during Wednesday’s match. Unfortunately, despite his energetic performance, York were beaten 74-66. Photograph by Rachel Elgar.

The men’s lacrosse team picked up an 11-10 win away to Leeds University firsts, while the women’s team beat Durham University thirds 12-10.

In the day’s other results, the men’s volleyball team are still looking for the winning formula, defeated in straight sets on the road at Sheffield Hallam. The squash firsts experienced a similar sinking feeling, beaten 5-0 across the city at Sheffield University. Also in the Steel City, the women’s hockey first picked up a 1-1 draw against Sheffield University seconds, the fourth draw of the season.

Football: Women's vs. Northumbria 09/12/09 Peter Iveson  IMG_0253

Action from the women’s football on Wednesday, where Northumbria beat York 3-1 on the 22 Acres. Photograph by Peter Iveson.

In the day’s tennis action, the women’s firsts tasted defeat for the first time in three matches, going down 6-4 against Leeds Met. Their second defeat of the campaign leaves them trailing leaders Leeds Met by six points entering the New Year. The men’s sides cleaned up, however, with the firsts 6-4 winners against Leeds University seconds, the seconds crushing Sunderland firsts 10-0 and the thirds overcoming Sunderland seconds by the same scoreline.