York Come Dancing

Justyn Hardcastle

Justyn Hardcastle

Peter warner-medley and his parter Abigail Wilson were announced the winning couple of York Come Dancing on Sunday.

The charity event, organised by York Dancesport and RAG, saw eleven campus ‘celebrities’ pair up with a member of York Dancesport to perform one unique piece. Upon their victory Warner-Medley, YUSU LGBT Officer, and Wilson were presented with a signed copy of Craig Revel Horwood’s biography each.

The pair, who came joint third in the judges vote with Lewis Bretts, YUSU Democracy and Services Officer, and partner Emily Sargeant, were victorious after audience donations were counted and added to the scores.

Bretts and Sargeant came second in the overall rankings, followed by judges’ favourites Ed Lewis-Smith and Sarah Cook.

Warner-Medley and Wilson, whose Jive was greeted with a standing ovation by the audience, were tearful when accepting their award and thanked “everyone for everything”.

The event raised £1,298.95 for RAG from audience donations alone. Money raised from the sale of programs will also be donated.

Supporters in The Courtyard were also able to take part in the voting, with RAG assistants and the friends of contestants collecting donations throughout the University.

Internet viewers, who were able to view the competition through Nouse’s live blog and YSTV’s live stream, were also able to vote in a special ‘Online Winner’ category. Anna Bucks, YUM Chair, was declared victorious online.