University fails to warn students about “disgusting” drain works

The University have been criticised for the failure to inform students about the extent of work being done on the campus drainage system

The University have been criticised for the failure to inform students about the extent of work being done on the campus drainage system.

The work has resulted in a foul stench lingering around Langwith and Vanbrugh colleges.

Students received no notification that works would be taking place or of its timescale. A first -year English student stated: “I have to walk past it every day, it literally smells like a sewer. It seems odd that they haven’t been able to sort it out sooner.”

One of the drains located outside the The Courtyard in Langwith has been left open. Ben Barron, a first-year student, stated: “It’s disgusting; we’ve got to live here. Nobody wants that smell where they live. It’s bad enough going for a cigarette outside in the cold, but the smell makes me feel sick. It’s even more frustrating that the University haven’t conducted the repairs outside of term time, knowing that we are reaching the end of this term.”

Campus services officially started working on the problem during Week Seven, following the smell being released. Repair work then continued, which along with the odour, meant the fencing off of certain pathways, the inconvenience of which has sparked complaints from some students.

The drains still remain open, suggesting that the smell will continue to linger further. An explanation has been given by the University, that the flooding has claused heat ventilators to dry out.

The University’s Pro-Vice-Chancellor for students, Jane Grenville, commented: “We didn’t aim to do this work in term time, but once the smell appeared we had to investigate it.”

YUSU Welfare officer, Ben Humphrys, said: “We’ve looked into this and are confident that the situation is being resolved quickly.”