Sudden spate of bike thefts on campus

Another four bikes have been stolen on campus in the last seven days, bringing the total number of bikes that have been reported stolen to 35. Halifax College has seen more thefts than any other area on campus.

Concerns have been raised by the North Yorkshire Police about how secure students are keeping their bikes. Several measures have been taken by the North Yorkshire Police to prevent further bike thefts.

Tom Rollinson, PCSO for the University of York and Heslington, has stated: “We are providing extra high visibility patrols on campus and have run several cycle tagging days and offer crime prevention to people who are seen to secure cycles poorly.”

Rollinson advices students to use secure cycle sheds on campus and a good quality lock to prevent further bike theft.

Bikes should be secured with a D-lock and a thick cable lock that secures through a wheel and the bike frame. Students should be aware that these are available at a discounted rate from the security office.

Bicycle tagging has so far been judged quite a success, as at least three cycles have been found using the tags fitted by the police.

York is regarded as one of the country’s premier cycling cities, especially within the student community. Council figures reveal that over 1000 bikes are stolen in the city each year. In response to the figures, the crime prevention intitative, Safer York Partnership, has issued bike safety guidelines available at www.saferyork.org.uk.