Search for missing Chemistry student centres on River Ouse

The search for missing University of York student Pierre Le Moignan has entered its third week as North Yorkshire Police admit that the investigation is focused on the River Ouse.

Police, who have stated that they are “extremely concerned for his safety”, have been forced to suspend their search of the river until water levels at the Ouse have dropped following recent flooding, and as such are yet to find a body.

Janice Bryan, Press Officer at North Yorkshire Police, disclosed: “The circumstances of his disappearance lead us to believe that he may have entered the river at some point after 10pm on Saturday 21 November.”
Clothes and a note displaying the date and time, which are suspected to be Le Moignan’s, were found by a pedestrian on Sunday morning beside the river.

The walker who found the clothes, who wishes to remain anonymous, told Nouse that “everything was in its rightful place… my first initial thought was that someone had jumped into the river. The clothes were too well-organised for them not to have been left on purpose.”

Nouse understands that the minimal campus notification of his disappearance, in contrast to the ongoing search for Claudia Lawrence, is at the request of Mr Le Moignan’s family.

A police spokesman said that Mr Le Moignan’s mother and sister lived in Lampeter, Wales, and officers were keeping them updated about the search.

The walker who discovered the clothes added: “There was something about the way the items were so neatly packed that was unusual, so I went over to have a look and I found a wallet, a mobile phone, some keys and a watch piled underneath the hat. There was also a piece of paper balanced on top of the items with the date on it and a time. It was a shock…”

Bryan explained: “River searches have been carried out. However, due to the current rise in river levels, officers are monitoring the situation before any further searches can commence.”

Mr Le Moignan, who has just entered his fourth year at the University and is studying Chemistry, has been described as 5ft 4in tall with a thin build, light brown hair and wears glasses. At the time of his disappearance he is believed to have been wearing a red fleece top with a tweed hat and grey scarf and gloves. Friends have desribed him as a “quiet” student who “kept himself to himself”.

David Garner, University Press Officer, said: “We are extremely concerned about the well-being of Pierre Le Moignan. We would appeal to Pierre, or anyone who knows of his whereabouts, to contact North Yorkshire Police immediately.”

If anyone has any information please contact North Yorkshire Police on 0845 6060247.

1. “Nouse understands that the minimal campus notification of his disappearance, in contrast to the ongoing search for Claudia Lawrence, is at the request of Mr Le Moignan’s family”

Why did you put it on your front page then??

2. Yeah, and Tiger Woods has asked nicely for the media to stop writing about him too…

The media – campus, local, national or international – are not bound by the same client relationships that, in this case, the University is. They have a duty to report, in the public interest, and can’t subjectively decide which tragic disappearances are more or less worthy of print. Moreover, the disappearance has been in the York Press for weeks.

3. Yes, they have the right to report it. Yes, they are not bound by the same client relationship as the University is.

“Can’t subjectively decide.” Don’t fool yourself that news is objective. Nouse have every right to report this, but that doesn’t mean they can’t just use a few morals and make some effort not to upset people. They can do it if they like, but that doesn’t mean it is good or that they have ‘no choice’.

I imagine this article would normally have been printed as a page lead on one of the inside pages – I suspect a better story fell through at the last minute, because this report was put on the website before the print edition.

4. Anon – surely your concerted effort to criticise the insensitivity of the article exemplifies its importance? It’s nothing to do with better stories falling through at the last minute – unless you think that more petty squabbling among YUSU officers and bar closure warrant importance over a missing student.

If you had bothered to read the reportage made on the website last week and the edition’s article, you will see that significant changes have emerged and Nouse has attempted to report such advancements with as much nuance and sensitivity as possible.

‘“Can’t subjectively decide.” Don’t fool yourself that news is objective. Nouse have every right to report this, but that doesn’t mean they can’t just use a few morals and make some effort not to upset people.’
    Is the insinuation here that Nouse has some sort of insidious ulterior motive agianst Mr Le Moignan and his family? I think the premise of your argument underscores the true insensitivity of people who have absolutely no idea about the ‘moral’ priorities and repsonsibilities of journalists.