Global Focus

The Nouse Politics team summarises the biggest stories from around the world

[mapmaker]

[mmplace location=”COPENHAGEN,DENMARK”]The UN climate change conference has begun in Copenhagen and is set to continue until December 18. The aim of the conference is to set new targets for cutting carbon dioxide emissions and to replace the Kyoto Protocol which expires in 2012. However, Barack Obama and Lars Løkke Rasmusse, the Danish Prime Minister, have agreed not to agree to a new agreement in Copenhagen.[/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”PERUGIA, ITALY”]Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito have been found guilty of the murder of British student Meredith Kercher. Knox was sentenced to 26 years imprisonment, and Sollecito 25 years. Another man, Rudy Guede, was found guilty in October. Kercher, a Leeds University student, was murdered during a drug-induced sex game. The Kercher family was awarded 4.4million Euros in compensation. [/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”LIMA, PERU”]Four people were arrested in Peru on suspicion of killing dozens of people in order to remove their body fat and sell it for cosmetic use. The alleged murders mimicked a character of Andean folklore that roamed the mountains extracting fat from travellers. It was later revealed that the killings were fictitious, and the top organised crime investigator had misled the public. He has since been suspended from his post. [/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”BERN, SWITZERLAND”]A ban on minarets in Switzerland has evoked criticism from religious leaders worldwide. More than 57% of voters were in favour of the ban. The Swiss people’s party (SVP) put forward the proposal. Minarets are seen as a sign of Islamification that is seemingly unwelcome in Switzerland. [/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”MOGADISHU, SOMALIA”]22 people were killed in a suicide bombing at a hotel in Mogadishu. The dead included three Somali government minsters. The government has pointed the finger at Islamist insurgent group Al-Shabab for the attack. Al-Shabab have strongly denied responsibility. They claim it is a plot by the government itself. [/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”BALTIMORE, USA”]The mayor of Baltimore, Sheila Dixon, has been convicted of stealing gift-cards that were intended for poorer families. She reportedly used the money she stole to buy a camcorder, amongst other items. The prosecutor in the case said it was “a sad day for Baltimore.” He also praised the courage of the jury in finding Mayor Dixon guilty.[/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”WASHINGTON D.C., USA”]President Barack Obama has pledged to send 30,000 extra troops to Afghanistan to fight against the Taliban and help to secure peace in the country. Taliban leaders have responded saying they will match the troop surge with an increase in violence. NATO has also pledged to send an extra 7,000 troops. [/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”ANTRIM, NORTHERN IRELAND”]A convicted paedophile has been set free after it was decided that sending him to prison would put his health at risk. John William McConaghy weighs in excess of 30 stone. The judge in the case decided he would not receive the appropriate care in prison. [/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM”]A row has erupted between the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) and the UK Government, which currently owns a 70% stake in the bank. The Government has attempted to restrict bonuses the bank can give out to its staff. Some have suggested that the estimated £1.5 billion bonus pot could be reduced by £500 million. [/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”JERSEY, UNITED KINGDOM”]The infamous drug dealer Curtis Warren has been sentenced to 13 years in prison. He was planning to import £1m of cannabis into Jersey from Holland. Warren has previously featured on the Sunday Times rich list. Five others who were also prosecuted were given more lenient sentences. [/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”TEHRAN, IRAN”]Iran is planning to build ten more uranium enrichment plants. The move has angered the UN and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). Iran has also stated that it will only reveal the location of the plants six months before they become operational. Further sanctions are likely to follow. [/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”PERM, RUSSIA”]Over 100 people have died in a nightclub in Russia. The deaths occurred when an indoor firework display caused an explosion. Most of the victims died as a result of smoke inhalation. A criminal investigation has now begun to find the cause of the incident. [/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”XINJIANG, CHINA”]Five people have been sentenced to death for murder and other crimes, related to ethnic riots in July. Nearly 200 people were killed during the riots. The confrontation was between China’s Han ethnic group and ethnic Uighurs. Two more people were also handed life sentences. [/mmplace]