Courtyard to be heavily affected by January exams

The Langwith JCR section of The Courtyard will not be available for food and drink consumption for over half of Week One in the Spring Term.

Due to an increase in the requirement for space to hold examinations, Langwith JCR, which adjoins The Courtyard, will be used for sitting exams in January. This means that the only bar run by YUSU may suffer some loss of trade during the four affected days due to reduced seating space.

Langwith JCR is not formally part of The Courtyard but the University agreed that it may be used by YUSU when not needed for examinations.

In consideration of maintaining examination conditions, the University have asked the YUSU run bar to “refrain from serving there [the JCR] and to ask customers not to take their drinks and food in”.

Lewis Bretts, YUSU Democracy and Services Officer, wishes to arrange an assembly of a heated and carpeted marquee in the decked area of The Courtyard to compensate for losses in space.

Jane Grenville, Pro-Vice Chancellor, has said that she “held the interests of the students under examination to be paramount” and that they must be able to take exams in suitable surroundings.

In light of the impending situation, Bretts has stated: “I’m disappointed but not surprised; however, I’m really excited that we’ve found a solution, and it will ensure that students will continue to have a great place to relax and socialise before and after their exams.”

Central Hall and the Exhibition Centre will also be in use for sitting examinations. Grenville stated: “We were able to move one exam session from an evening to a morning to reduce the impact on trade but the complexities of the timetable meant that we could not make other adjustments.

Grenville said that she feels that “this is the least disruptive solution for the University community as a whole”.