University of York saddened by death of student in car accident

A third year University of York student has died after being involved in a car accident in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The student, Wang Jiang Ning, who was studying History of Art and was a member of Halifax College, was taken to Leeds General Infirmary after the accident at 2.40am on Sunday in a critical condition. The police have now announced her death.

The University have commented that they were “deeply saddened” by the death of Wang Jiang Ning.

This was followed by a statement from Professor Mark Hallett, Head of the Department of History of Art: “Wang Jiang Ning, known as Wendy, was funny, warm-hearted and much loved by her fellow students. She was a thoughtful, diligent and insightful student who had a particular passion for Victorian art. Her smile and determination to succeed will be greatly missed.”

The accident occurred on the A64 near Tadcaster after the Mercedes CLS in which Wang Jiang Ning was travelling lost control and eventually came to a halt in the middle of the road. The four passengers exited the car, but a following red Mazda collided with both Wendy and another woman as it passed. Her name is unknown at present. The other woman involved in the accident died soon afterwards, having been taken to York Hospital.

One man, Tien Cheng, 28, was arrested in connection with the accident and charged with dangerous driving. He will appear at York Crown Court on the 7th December.