Wednesday Round-up – 2nd December

Despite a number of cancellations, there was still plenty of sports action on campus today. Nouse rounds up the best of the day’s action

Photograph by Jason Lozier

Photograph by Jason Lozier

Despite a waterlogged 22 Acres putting paid to the majority of today’s outdoor fixtures, there was still plenty of important BUCS League action at the University of York today. Allow Nouse to take you through the best of the action.

A busy schedule had been decimated by the recent heavy rainfall, with cancellations in the men’s football, men’s lacrosse and both the men’s and women’s rugby, not to mention the day’s College Football programme.

However, this means the women’s fencing team deservedly assume centre stage in this evening’s round-up. Their 135-64 triumph over Northumbria made it a faultless six wins from six this season and booked a top division play-off place for the New Year. York were superior in every department, taking the Sabre 45-26, the Épée 45-23 and the Foil 45-15, although their team was twice as big as the visitors’. Captain Kat Chzhen and the squad will enter the play-offs with sky-high confidence after brushing aside all-comers in BUCS Division 1B.

In the day’s volleyball action, there was further delight for the women’s team, who beat Sheffield Hallam 3-1 for a second successive win. After a couple of closely-contested sets left the score finely-balanced at 1-1, York pushed on and wore down their opponents thanks largely to excellent work by Captain Lucy Porter and Alexa Mitterhuber. In a division of only four teams, it appears that York and Newcastle will shoot-out for the promotion place.

Not such good news for the men’s team, however, who suffered a straight sets reverse to Manchester. Despite some flashes of brilliance, York were never able to fully assert themselves against a fluid and clinical visiting team, something which has become all too familiar this season. The 17-25, 12-25, 16-25 defeat leaves the side looking over their shoulders in League 1A, with only two wins from seven matches to date.

With leaders Sheffield not in action today, the football firsts are now breathing down their necks in League 2B following an impressive 3-1 away win at Leeds Met seconds. The side have now won their last four BUCS league matches, but will have to wait until the New Year to continue their challenge for honours. The women’s firsts, meanwhile, were beaten 3-2 away to Northumbria seconds.

Mens' Squash - 2.12.09 - Photo: Jason Lozier

The men’s squash team slipped to defeat against Sheffield, a result which sees them dumped at the bottom of the standings in League 2B. Paul Atkinson and Calum Fraser won York’s rubbers in the 3-2 loss. Photograph by Jason Lozier.

There was further joy for the women’s hockey teams, with two victories on the Astroturf. The firsts expended little effort in beating Sheffield seconds 3-0, a result which preserves their unbeaten sequence five matches into the campaign and keeps them within touching distance of table-topping Leeds. Prior to this, in a result which bodes well for Varsity in February, the seconds beat York St. John 4-2, a second consecutive win which keeps the team safely in mid-table.

Hockey 2nds v YSJ 2nds 2/12/09 Peter IvesonIMG_0038

Emily Scott takes the attack to York St. John during today’s hockey seconds clash, which York won 4-2. Photograph by Peter Iveson.

Unfortunately, the men’s seconds couldn’t make it a hat-trick of home successes, losing 4-3 in a thriller with Leeds Met seconds, despite leading 2-1 at one stage. The men’s firsts, meanwhile, lost 2-0 away to Durham fourths and are without a league success since the opening day.

The women’s tennis firsts made it four wins out of five as their promotion challenge gained further momentum with a 7-3 win against Leeds Met thirds. The team now trail Leeds University by only three points at the summit of League 2B with the scheduled clash between the top two on March 3rd looking set to be a title decider.

To cap another excellent afternoon’s work for the Tennis Club, the men’s firsts crushed Leeds seconds 10-1, taking them second in the table, this time behind Sheffield.

The men’s badminton firsts were locked in a 4-4 draw for a second consecutive week, this time away to Manchester and will look to pick up maximum points next week against Leeds to ease relegation worries heading into 2010. The women’s firsts won 6-2 at Huddersfield to record their first win of the campaign, leaving their opponents rooted to the bottom of the table.

Womens Tennis v Leeds Met, 02-12-2009, Photo: Justyn Hardcastle

Action from the women’s tennis match against Leeds Met, which was won by York 7-3. Photograph by Justyn Hardcastle.

In the day’s basketball, both the men’s and women’s sides were forced to fight hard but emerged ultimately victorious. The men beat Leeds University seconds 56-53 for a third successive win, while the women edged Hull 55-52.

The women’s lacrosse side are without a win in three games now following an 18-5 loss away to Liverpool. York are only three points clear of safety and face a critical home fixture with Durham thirds next Wednesday. The seconds endured similar fortunes, well beaten 21-1 at Leeds University seconds.

It was a bad day for the university netball teams as well, as promotion chances took a blow and relegation concerns heightened. The firsts are now bottom of League 4B as results conspired against them on Wednesday: their 34-29 loss to Newcastle, coupled with Northumbria’s surprise 35-30 away success at Sheffield leaves York at the foot of the table.

The seconds’ hopes of promotion into the firsts’ league took a dent as they also went down at Newcastle, 46-39. York really need to pick up something from next week’s reverse fixture to sustain their chances of winning the league. The thirds, meanwhille, lost heavily in their tough away match at Leeds Met – 56-27 the final score.