Mud, Studs and Arthur’s Seat: Braid Hills Race

York’s Athletic and Running Club performed admirably in Edinburgh’s testing Braid Hill event last weekend

Kc To battles through the mud in the 6-mile men's race

Last Saturday saw 11 representatives from York’s Athletics Club venturing over the border to Edinburgh University’s ‘Braid Hills Cross Country’ race.

The event saw healthy representation from Universities nationwide, with York’s men’s team coming 8th out of 34; beating the likes of Newcastle, Manchester and Swansea.

The local effort was certainly commendable with the green kits and Rambo-like painted faces of the Edinburgh University team, plus a good turnout from local independent running clubs.

The Women’s race set off at 2pm, following a three mile route. The start saw a fairly steep incline, soon to become a narrow trail up into the hills with glorious views over Edinburgh before winding back down some pretty unforgiving sections. Trail shoes or studded racing shoes were certainly advisable on these downhills.

2.30pm then saw the Men’s race commence with two laps and six fast paced miles.

Martin_Proctor,_Preseident

Martin Proctor, the Club President, recovered from a first lap fall to finish the men’s race in challenging conditions at Edinburgh.

Martin Proctor, the Athletic and Running Club President, successfully recovered from a tumble on his first lap. “It was definitely one of the muddiest races I’ve done, and certainly not for the faint hearted! It was great to have such a strong team here to compete today. Hopefully a sign of things to come for the Athletics Club,” he said.

As a result of Proctor and David Harper’s experience as York’s only representatives at the race last year, there was a significant increase in the York black bibs for 2009.

David_Harper,_Secretary

David Harper, the Club Secretary, finds some space to stretch his legs during the men’s race.

The festivities of the event continued into the evening with the organisers holding a meal and Ceilidh at ‘The Three Sister’s’ Pub in the centre of Edinburgh. The next step? Some hefty laundry sessions I’d imagine.

The Athletics and Running Club meet 4 times a week for casual road runs, speed training, cross country or challenging paces. For more information please email the club; [email protected]

York’s female runners: Freya Cookson, Chloe Moore, Jess Haines, Zofia Okuniewska

York’s male runners: Tom Barker, Jonny Blunden, David Harper, Ed Kirk, Martin Proctor, Kc To, David Worsley.