Women’s lacrosse make light work of Liverpool

York recovered well from last week’s defeat at Durham, with Emily Lingard and Anna Yeomans outstanding in this easy victory on Wednesday afternoon

Photograph by Sam Newsome

Photograph by Sam Newsome

Wednesday 28th October – BUCS League 1A

York bounced back emphatically from defeat in their opening BUCS game with a comprehensive 19-6 win over Liverpool firsts on Wednesday.

York’s scoring was dominated by the combination of Emily Lingard and Anna Yeomans, both of whom ran riot against a questionable Liverpool defence that was without several first team players. Both Lingard and Yeomans scored six goals apiece, while the latter also racked up a number of assists.

The first quarter was a scrappy affair from both sides but York settled quickest of the two teams and scored four unanswered goals early on. Liverpool then woke up and started to make a game of it, pulling two goals back after some consistent pressure.

York soon reasserted their dominance, however, and were 6-2 up by the end of the first quarter. The second quarter was much less free-scoring, as Liverpool’s goalkeeper managed to keep York at bay for much of the quarter. Lingard’s fourth goal broke Liverpool’s resistance, and three more goals in a flurry at the end of the quarter saw York go in 10-2 up at half-time and looking comfortable.

Lacrosse 2009-10-28 Sam Newsome_MG_0373

After last week’s heavy loss at Durham, this 19-6 win was the perfect response by the women’s lacrosse team. Photograph by Sam Newsome.

Despite some worries that the failing light may cut short the match, the second-half went ahead as normal. York took advantage of their dominance to rotate players in and out to give the whole squad match-experience, but it didn’t seem to slow down their scoring rate, with goals from Izzy Miller, Rose Morrison, Lingard and another couple from Yeomans taking York to a 15-3 lead by the end of the third quarter. A lone goal for Liverpool failed to prevent their heads dropping, with most of their team seeming to have resigned themselves to defeat.

York inevitably took their foot off the accelerator in the fourth quarter, with the match already won, and Liverpool took advantage by scoring three more goals to restore some of their lost pride. York still managed to score four more goals of their own, with both Yeoman’s and Lingard’s sixth goal adding to scores by Helen Streeter and Sarah Saunders.

The win was an important one for York after losing heavily to the likely division winners, Durham seconds, last week, and they will need to keep up their form for a winnable game next week against Durham thirds, who have lost their opening 3 matches.

Speaking to Nouse post-match, York Captain Serena Franklin said: “The game was a bit scrappy, but our attack was very good. I reckon that Emily Lingard was the Woman of the Match.

“It’s going to be close in BUCS this year, and we might be relegated, so it is very important that we win these games by as much as we did.”