Wednesday Preview – October 28th

A look ahead to the best of tomorrow’s BUCS action, with rugby hoping to respond, badminton and lacrosse hoping to get off the mark and netball looking for cup success

Photograph by Jason Lozier.

Photograph by Jason Lozier.

Tomorrow afternoon sees almost every one of York’s sports teams in action, either in the BUCS League or the early rounds of the BUCS Cup competition. Nouse runs you through the key fixtures in our weekly preview.

RUGBY UNION – Men’s Firsts vs. Durham University Thirds (22 Acres, 14:00)

All good things must come to an end but, despite losing their year-long unbeaten record against Sheffield Hallam last week, the rugby boys will be keen to preserve their ‘invincible’ status on home territory, where they haven’t tasted defeat since 2007. Durham thirds provide the opposition in what will be an acid test of York’s credentials in the top flight of BUCS rugby union in the north. Like York, Durham enter the match having won one and lost one of their fixtures so far, having finished fourth in the division last year. The scale of York’s task is represented by the university’s respective positions in the overall BUCS rankings: Durham, who benefit from intensive funding, finished sixth while York were 41st in 2008-2009. Nonetheless, the firsts, smarting from the unfamiliar sensation of defeat last week, will be confident of turning the tables before what will hopefully be a sizeable crowd. The seconds find themselves in cup action away to Leeds University thirds, while the thirds host Leeds seconds, again in knock-out competition.

York Rugby 2nds, 21.10.09, Photo: George Lowther

The rugby seconds in actions last week. They face Leeds University thirds in the BUCS Cup first round tomorrow. Photograph by George Lowther.

BADMINTON – Men’s Firsts vs. Manchester University Firsts (Sports Hall, 13:00)

In their first home fixture in the top BUCS division, the men’s badminton firsts face a tough test against Manchester University. The team’s first outing in League 1A saw a creditable performance in defeat away to Sheffield University last week, so tomorrow’s match offers a perfect opportunity to get their first points on the board against a Manchester side beaten by Lancaster last Wednesday. Manchester are an experienced outfit at this level, having finished second in each of their last two seasons, and will represent a stern examination for a much-altered York team from last year’s promotion success. The men’s third team, meanwhile, are in BUCS Cup action at home to Teesside University thirds. York’s first and second teams received a bye to the second round, but both must await tomorrow’s fixtures to learn their opposition for November 18th.

LACROSSE – Women’s Firsts vs. Liverpool University Firsts (22 Acres, 14:45)

Having been defeated by eternal rivals Durham seconds last week, the women’s lacrosse team have an opportunity to kick-start their season against Liverpool tomorrow afternoon. They follow the men’s firsts, who host Sheffield Hallam firsts, on the 22 Acres (kick-off 13:00). Durham, who beat the women to both the BUCS League and Cup titles last season, are already setting the pace in League 1A, scoring 35 times in their opening two matches. After facing Liverpool, York travel to Durham again next week, this time to take on the third team. The men’s team are also hoping to bounce back from defeat to Durham last week, but won’t have it all their own way against Hallam.

Elsewhere, men’s football find themselves in first round BUCS Cup action with the seconds travelling to Northumbria, the thirds at home to Sunderland (22 Acres, 14:00) and the fourths away to Sheffield firsts, the team that beat our firsts 1-0 last week. The netball club are also hoping to be inspired by the magic of the cup, with three away fixtures. The firsts head to Hull University, the seconds take on Leeds Met Carnegie and the thirds play Sheffield firsts.

Football 2nds v Bradford, 21/10/2009, Photo: Justyn Hardcastle

The football seconds beat Bradford 2-1 in difficult conditions last Wednesday and are hoping for cup progress against Northumbria tomorrow. Photograph by Justyn Hardcastle.

Otherwise, it’s league action, with the Hockey Club hoping for good results both at home and on the road. The men’s firsts, with one victory and one defeat to date, travel to Sheffield Hallam, while the seconds will be hoping to respond to last week’s narrow defeat when they take on Sheffield University (Astroturf, 13:30). The women’s firsts are also at home and face Hull seconds (Astroturf, 15:00).

The women’s basketball team host Hull (Tent, 16:00), both the men’s and women’s fencing teams are at home (against Hull and Durham respectively, 14:00 in the Sports Hall), men’s table tennis welcome Manchester (Sports Hall, 16:00) and women’s tennis play Sheffield University (Tennis Courts, 13:00) in the best of the day’s other fixture. Why not go down and support one of York’s teams?