Goodness Gracious Green Balls of Fire!

In beating Durham seconds 7-3 on Wednesday, the men’s first tennis team laid down a marker for the BUCS season ahead

Photograph by George Lowther

Photograph by George Lowther

BUCS League 2B – Wednesday 21st October

York men’s tennis firsts certainly beat the rain this week, winning their first match of this season 7-3 against Durham seconds. On a wet Wednesday afternoon, the odds were stacked against York, yet through solid perseverance the men’s mentality was fine-tuned to winning.

Captain David Leff-Hallstein tells Nouse how thrilled he was post-match: “This season I really feel the team has come together excellently.” Leff- Hallstein and joint captain Peter Thomson-Glover played their doubles match effortlessly, each in turn slicing the ball just out of reach for the Durham players, giving them an overall 8-4 win.

A big amount of the Sports Centre budget this term was directed at the tennis courts. In a terrible condition before, they were resurfaced to stop players slipping over. Nouse asked the players what they thought of the extensive work that had been done: “well, they couldn’t have got much worse before could they” seemed to be the consensus. This time around, the rain didn’t cause the match to be postponed and although players Ben Dyer and Neil Moroz lost their doubles match, they were certainly ready for the challenge of their next games.

Tennis, 21.10.09, Photo: George Lowther

York adapted quickly to their newly resurfaced courts on Wednesday afternoon, beating Durham by a comfortable margin. Photograph by George Lowther.

The action was endless in the singles play. Leff-Hallstein played first, winning 6-4 in his third set. Dyer wrapped up his game 6-2, 6-2 in one of his first performances for the team. With some more training and a boost of confidence he was described as ‘a player to watch out for in the future.’ Moroz stepped on court with a winning mentality, playing fourth, in what became a ferocious game. Amazing on the back hand, he fought hard and won in the nail-biting third set 11-9 which caused the crowds to cheer dramatically.

Thomson-Glover lost his match 6-2, 6-3 however by this time York had won enough points to take overall victory. Although being disappointed in himself after such a sterling doubles match, Thomson –Glover was commended for his captaincy. He was universally praised by the York side for the confidence he inspires in his team, and his good sportsmanship, which condemns any foul play or animosity between opposition. All in all, Wednesday was a successful, highly-charged match where York prevailed against all odds, and hopefully there will be more to follow.

1. 27 Oct ’09 at 11:12 pm

Maria "Hunty"

Epic win guys.. but if one of you become a millionaire please build indoor courts