Final Score – Wednesday 21st October

The results from this afternoon’s BUCS League fixtures involving the University of York

Photograph by Sam Newsome

Photograph by Sam Newsome

This afternoon saw BUCS action return with a vengeance at the University of York, as our sports teams scrambled to organise teams just days after freshers’ trials. The outcome, predictably, was a mixed bag of results with York’s teams exposed to the full range of sporting emotions on a wet and miserable afternoon.

Their extraordinary unbeaten run had to come to an end at some point, but the men’s firsts rugby team were still stung by a 35-17 defeat at Sheffield Hallam this afternoon. The result is the first time the team have tasted defeat since a 28-20 BUCS Cup third round reverse to Northumbria last November and their first league loss in well over a year. The firsts have a chance to return to winning ways next Wednesday at home to Durham.

The women’s hockey firsts discovered that they won’t have everything their own way in a lower division as their much-altered team were forced to battle from behind twice to earn a 3-3 draw with Leeds University thirds. The visitors led 2-1 and 3-2 on the Astroturf but level heads from UYHC stalwarts such as Laura Pepper, Charlie Bartlett and Anna Smith, the Captain, as well as crucial goalscoring contributions from new players, meant York went away with a point.

Two goals from Rob Newton – which took his tally to four in two matches from the wing – were not enough as the men’s firsts lost 5-3 away to Northumbria.The men’s seconds, earlier in the afternoon, suffered a 1-0 defeat to Sheffield University fourths. The decisive moment, seven minutes into the second period, came from a York error, suggesting that the team need a little longer to fully incorporate their new faces. Joe Walsh was particularly impressive for the home team on his debut. The women’s seconds went down 5-2 away to Leeds Met Carnegie fourths.

York Rugby 2nds, 21.10.09, Photo: George Lowther

Frantic action from today’s rugby seconds encounter with Sheffield University thirds. Photograph by George Lowther.

The men’s football firsts slipped to a 1-0 defeat away to Sheffield University firsts, a well-taken free-kick after 20 minutes proving their undoing. Greg Gardner produced a man-of-the-match display as York showed promise in attack, but couldn’t muster an equaliser. The seconds beat Bradford University 2-1, while the thirds drew 3-3 against Teesside fourths.

The men’s lacrosse side were given a lesson at Durham, losing 19-0, although Captain Benedict Robinson identified second-half positives in the performances. Durham also dished out heartache for the women’s firsts, who were beaten 16-4.

In today’s badminton action, all played away from the University of York, the women’s firsts earned a 4-4 draw at Northumbria, the men’s seconds overcame Sheffield Hallam seconds 5-3 and the men’s thirds lost 7-1 to Leeds Met thirds. The men’s firsts, playing their first match in BUCS League 1A, suffered disappointment in going down 5-3 against Sheffield University.

Football 2nds v Bradford, 21/10/2009, Photo: Justyn Hardcastle

Bradford attempt to make their set-pieces count against our football seconds today. Photograph by Justyn Hardcastle.

There was a feast of squash action in the Sports Centre today with the women’s firsts, defending BUCS Cup champions, conceding not a single set in a 4-0 demolition of Northumbria seconds. Elsewhere, the men’s firsts lost 4-1 to Leeds University, Captain Calum Fraser winning the only match for York, and the men’s seconds won 2-1 thanks to Will Wainwright and Tim Armstrong.

In an entertaining and close match, the netball firsts lost 29-27 to Sheffield University, though the thirds did overcome York St. John 34-23.

Match reports and further details to follow…