WonDerland raises record £7,000 for charity

WonDerland is set to donate almost £7,000 to charity following one of the most successful college fundraising events in history.

The 2009 edition of the annual Big D event raised almost £5,000 more than the previous record total, amassed last year. The 2006 and 2007 events both failed to make a profit for charity.

Anna Claire Younger, Derwent JCRC Vice-Chair and event organiser, praised everyone involved in the 1,400-person spectacle and hailed the generous support of those who attended.

“It’s fantastic that we were able to raise so much money for our deserving charities. People really got behind us and dug deep for our fitting recipients.”

“All members of the Big D committee put so much effort into the organisation, and I owe a massive thank you to all the volunteers that worked, stewarded and entertained on the night.”

“It was an incredible event. I hope everyone had a great night, and enjoyed sending off the year in style,” Younger added.

The money raised, including over £1,500 from the inaugural Little D daytime event, will be divided between four charities selected by Derwent College members.

National and local charity Teenage Cancer Trust and York and District Mind will recieve donations, while campus charity RAG will also benefit from the proceeds.

The Ron Weir Memorial Fund, which is raising money to construct a lasting reminder of the former Derwent Provost was an important recipient for the committee.

“Ron was such an important supporter of Big D throughout his time as Provost, and certainly ensured that it would go ahead this year. We wanted to do something to acknowedge that,” said Ciara Masterson, who sat on the event committee.

The event, which sold out in under 45 minutes and crashed the YUSU online payment system, featured headline acts Simian Mobile Disco, Scratch Perverts and Utah Saints, as well as campus acts Breakz, Idioteque, Magnapow and Overreact. Campus DJs and assorted performance artists completed the festival-style line-up.