Where does Britain go from here?

The last three weeks have seen Britain’s main parties unveil the new manifestos that they hope will bring them success in the upcoming General Election. Nouse ‘s politics team bring you the analysis

How did Nick Clegg's performance compare to the other party leaders'?

THE CONSERVATIVES
What happened? The end of ‘big government’ was announced in David Cameron’s speech. General Richard Dannatt is to give advice on Afghanistan, Osbourne will cut the Whitehall budget by one third, freeze public sector pay, and raise the pension age. Welfare shake-ups aim to get 500,000 people off incapacity benefit.
What went wrong? Despite a ban on Tory leaders drinking champagne, Cameron was spotted with a glass at a Spectator party. Chris Grayling, Shadow Defence, was unaware of Dannatt’s appointment, calling it a “political gimmick”. Cameron had to step in early on to prevent a rift opening over the issue of the Lisbon Treaty and Europe. A party member was arrested over champagne theft from the conference venue.
What are we still asking? What will the party do on Europe if the Lisbon Treaty is ratified before they come into power? The possible options for a referendum will no doubt evoke strong feelings from all corners of the party, and Cameron could have his work cut out just to maintain discipline. The financial cuts that were announced are only a fraction of the deficit. How will they find the money for the rest?he Conservatives

THE LABOUR PARTY
What happened? Unsurprisingly, it started with Prime Minister Brown promising to take the toughest action of any country on bankers bonuses and the expansion of job creation programmes. Afghanistan was mostly glossed over but more equipement was promised. Free childcare, better cancer treatment and a referendum on electoral reform were also mentioned.
What went wrong? The loss of The Sun’s support was disappointing although the subsequent headlines were probably more soul destroying. Lord Mandelson used the ‘c-word’ to refer to a News International executive although he claims he said ‘chumps’. The PM was questioned over his use of prescription painkillers.
What are we still asking? Many expected to hear more plans for the increasingly turbulent war in Afghanistan. Ed Balls had little to say about the future of British education although preventing teachers from joining the BNP is a start. Labour’s plan to freeze civil servants’ pay and abandon capital-intense projects to raise funds seemed a little simplistic. Overall, the optimistically named ‘Operation Fightback’ conference did little to convince voters that they deserved another term in power.

THE LIBERAL DEMOCRATS
What happened? In an extremely well delivered speech, Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg and sidekick Vince Cable announced plans to levy a tax on those with houses worth more than £1m. They also plan to make a U-turn on tuition fees, meaning not one of the three parties now pledges to abolish them). They also pledged to seriously cut back the UK’s nuclear deterrent, Trident. Despite these money saving measures, the Lib Dems also pledged to spend, offering to abolish income tax for those earning less than £10,000.
What went wrong? Students are the Lib Dem’s largest support base, and ditching their policy to scrap tuition fees will cost the party many student votes. There was also mutiny from many Lib Dems, some of whom accuse party leaders of making up policy ‘as they go along’.
What are we still asking? Becoming less credible by the day, many are asking whether Clegg really has what it takes to lead a party into the next election. Lib Dem support is falling, and the party is failing to attract lost Labour voters, many of whom are turning to the Tories. It is also unclear how the Liberal Democrats will meet their promises both to increase spending and to make a significant dent in the deficit.

1. Here is our vision for the future of politics in our local area, that can be adapted nationwide. To bring something to the UK that has never existed before, the ever illusive Democracy.

Edward and Tony Devoy 2010 June Election
    Barnsley Borough
    Toward a better future

Changing politics for the better for we the people:

Because of the way politicians, since what appears to be time immemorial have ignored the electorate and have worked only for their own enrichment, culminating in the expenses scandal, we have decided to put ourselves forward to represent and act on behalf of we the people.

In order to show to those who do not normally vote as well as to those who do, that we are not typical politicians:
    On being elected, we will start our own charity to assist individuals and smaller community groups who are presently ignored by the local authority.
    Throughout our term in Parliament we will contribute half of our individual income into the charity.
    Effectively we will work for half the money that our current MP’s believe is not enough for them to manage on.

We will not do what political Parties now do in their election manifesto’s, promise the world and deliver nothing.
    We will bring politics to the individual and everyone will be able to change the way things are done in the Barnsley Borough and Nationally and ensure the wishes of we the people are paramount.

We will have an official presence on the web, where people can put forward their ideas that will enhance the lives of all in the Barnsley Borough for the benefit of we the people.

The people of Barnsley will be able to vote on the ideas put forward and we as the representatives of the people will act on the will of we the people, bringing Democracy where once it did not exist.

For instance, on a local level, if someone was to suggest that Council tax should be halved to bring it to a reasonable level, we the people would vote and if the vote was unanimous, As representatives of we the people we would canvass the local authority to act on the will of the people and would name and shame any elected councillor or civil servant acting against the will of we the people. The people working in opposition to we the people would by consensus of the people be removed from their positions.
    After all he who pays the piper should call the tune.
    Unlike at present where the Council dictate often in an oppressive manner to we the people.

We will put the power where it should be, in the hands of we the people.

On a National level, if someone was to put forward abolition of the TV licence fee. If the vote was unanimous. We would canvas Parliament to carry out the wishes of we the people, if Parliament was to refuse, we would then start a nationwide campaign if enough votes were cast and Parliament made the decision not to act, we would then call for civil disobedience on the basis that the Government of the day was acting against the will of we the people.

In a true Democracy Government is by the people for the people.

At all times people would be able to vote against changes of these sorts and would be able to put forward their own ideas, we the people would have what we have never had in this Country, Democracy.

This would I am sure cause many problems in the political arena, but nothing that could not be sorted.

It would empower we the people.

Those who now feel disaffected and those who suffer from political apathy would now have a voice, they would not feel their vote was a wasted vote.
    It would breathe new life into the political strata of life and politics would no longer be the preserve of the elite for their own benefit to the detriment of we the people.

It is time to take away the power of politics from the politicians and give it to the people to whom it belongs.

Re the Council Tax: we believe it should be a lot less than half the amount.

Re The Licence Fee: We believe it is a burden on the poorest and should be abolished. We have no problem with the BBC being subsidised from general taxation with the view of working to self sufficiency.

Forget political parties with their elitist agendas, and the political elite who serve only themselves.
    Give yourself a voice and make your vote work for you.

As students who are at the total mercy of politicians, who pretend to listen and then ignore you, now is your chance to make your vote work for you, and bring about real change for the better.
    Any ideas, comments etc gracefully received.
    And feel free to pass on our message to anyone who you think may be interested.