Obama wins Nobel Prize for Diplomacy

President Obama meets the Turkish Prime Minister after the G20 summit

US President Barack Obama has been awarded the 2009 Peace Prize in recognition of his efforts to improve international relations throughout the first year of his presidency. The announcement was greeted with mixed reviews at home and abroad. Concerns have been expressed that President Obama, in his nine months, has not had enough time to achieve enough internationally to be worthy of such a prestigious award.The President was nominated just two weeks after his inauguration.

The award is further evidence of a growing belief among Nobel scholars that the award has become increasingly politicized over the past few years, most notably in their hated of the Bush administration. Although President Obama’s efforts at diplomacy have generally been met with international approval, some question what he has actually achieved other than hosting summits and increasing international rhetoric.The Head of the Nobel Prize Committee, Thorbjoern Jagland defended their decision, stating: “It was because we would like to support what he is trying to achieve. [Obama] has created a new climate in international politics.It is a clear signal that we want to advocate what he has done.”

The Nobel Prize Committee highlighted Obama’s work to support international bodies and promote nuclear disarmament. However, critics maintain that the prize should be awarded for actual achievements rather than as a tool for encouragement. In his own country, Obama has come under fire from conservative bloggers and even some liberals. Michael Steele, chairman of the Republican National Committee asks “What has President Obama actually accomplished?It is unfortunate that the President’s star power has outshined tireless advocates who have made real achievements working towards peace and human rights.”

The endorcement and congratulations recently voiced by Fidel Castro have only served to futher anger the conservatives. Liberal bloggers maintain that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan must come to an end before President Obama can be deemed truly deserving of such a prize. Obama is the first US President to be given the award since Jimmy Carter in 2002. Carter called Obama’s win “bold statement of international support for his vision and commitment.” Obama himself remained humble and modest in his media statement. “I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments.” He said he would accept the prize as “a call to action” rather than a affirmation of his diplomatic achievements.

Perhaps the most concerning aspect of the situation is the increased pressure on President Obama to solve the world’s problems as well as completely alter America’s health care system and mend the national economy. BBC North America editor Mark Mardell said “There was a huge weight of responsibility on Obama’s shoulders, and this medal hung round his neck has just made it a little heavier.” The Nobel Peace Prize was created by Alfred Nobel, a Swedish industrialist who invented dynamite. It was first awarded in 1902.

1. “Nobel” is misspelled all through your article.

2. 14 Oct ’09 at 3:35 am

Anonymous Massive!

Anonymous Massive! gives a Massive! shout out to Aurora’s wise words. On that note, Anonymous Massive! is also Massively! amused by the following sentance, and what it reveals about the author’s/proof-reader’s spelling skillz:

“The Noble Peace Prize was created by Alfred Nobel”

True dat, York brothers and sisters, true dat!

3. 14 Oct ’09 at 3:36 am

Anonymous Massive!

Anonymous Massive! is suitably ashamed of his own typo. Massive! fail!

4. Seriously, Camilla, this piece is fine in terms of what it says, but it needs a thorough read-through for typos, because they’re distracting and some people may dismiss writing that looks a bit careless no matter how valid the views it’s expressing.

Examples:

Noble – Nobel (throughout)
    award.The – space missing
    in their hated – in their hatred
    rhetoric.The – space missing
    politics.It – space missing
    to futher – to further
    Obama’s win “bold statement – Obama’s win a “bold statement
    a affirmation – an affirmation
    accomplished?It – space missing
    endorcement – endorsement

Sorry, some of us do this for a living, so maybe we’re more sensitive to it than others. If this comes across as patronizing, it’s not meant to be.

Your piece got linked from the US site Memeorandum – http://www.memeorandum.com/091014/p133#a091014p133 – so that’s some recognition for you. (I’m British, BTW.)

5. Congratulations Mr. obama on being given the Nobel piece-of-$#!+ prize. Notice I did not call you President… because you’re not… not until you show your long form birth certificate. Notice I didn’t say you won or earned the prize… because you didn’t. It was given to you over people who actually did something and deserved it. What’s next for you? The Heisman?

6. Lol at Tom, why do you write as though Obama might actually be reading your comment on this website?

Whether he should have won the prize over Tsvangirai, for example, is highly debatable. Whether he is in fact a US citizen and President of the US is not, you are a fool.

7. Tom, you’re a birther. Enough said.

8. I agree, too many typos! Should have read through it once before publishing. I am one of the ones who dismissed this article based on the carelessness.

9. Hi mr obama, may God almighty continue to add more greece to your elbow.congratulations for your nobel prize…….

10. 20 Oct ’09 at 3:00 pm

Sami-Rose Sterjon

Greece?

11. Nobel is spelled correctly, its named after an individual. I think the people more interested in English than the Politics has taken away from this article. People should learn what the prize stands for. Anyway, I can’t seem why Obama deserves it at all, although one could argue he got rid of Bush!