And now for something different…

Sports Editor offers the lowdown on the remaining roster of York’s sports clubs, from the orthodox to the plain odd

The York Hornets Cheerleading Squad

The York Hornets Cheerleading Squad

Find yourself tired of ubiquitous football? Yearning for something different than rugby? Bored sick of the ordinary selection of sports? Don’t panic. Such is the range of sports clubs on offer at the University of York, from the conventional to the downright quirky, there’s bound to be something out there for everyone to try their hand at. Here’s a glimpse of the range, all of which will be present at YUSU Fair (Saturday 17th October, Sports Centre).

Our alphabetical sporting odyssey starts, predictably, with Aikido, the friendliest of the martial arts, and immediately contrasts with the rough and tumble of Centurions American Football, entering its second full year. Archery, always dominant at Roses, practice either indoors or outdoors all year round, while the Athletics club cater for serious competitors, casual runners and keep fit fans alike. Basketball, with established men’s and women’s teams, always attracts the crowds for their frequent BUCS League fixtures. Ben Lairig is the university’s mountain walking society, organising trips to Snowdonia, Scotland and the Lake District recently. The mighty Boat Club has an aura on campus, rowing at numerous national regattas each year with great success.

The Boxing club’s two weekly sessions provide the ultimate in circuit fitness training – not to mention competitive bouts. Canoe are proud of their ‘insane spirit of throwing ourselves headlong at anything in a bit of plastic’ – enough said. Canoe Polo offers a (slightly) more genteel option for water lovers. Capoeira, a fusion of martial arts and music, is always rhythmic and visually stunning, rather like the stunning underground scenery you can expect to experience with the Cave and Pothole club. This brings us on to the quite marvellous York Hornets Cheerleading troupe who, entering only their second year, compete nationally and liven up the touchlines. Look out for the Cricket club come next summer, with three men’s and a women’s team.

The Cycling club have you covered whether your taste is road or mountain biking, while Fencing compete in BUCS competition across all three styles of sword: foil, sabre and épée. Futsal – the indoor version of football – represented York at the BUCS National Championships in Sheffield earlier in the year. Choose the Gliding club to soar to 40,000ft on sheer skill and courage, or enjoy Fulford Golf Club, one of the best in Europe. Incorporating both artistic and rhythmic forms, gymnastics are preparing to welcome expert and novice acrobats alike. We next encounter a glut of martial arts, namely Jiu Jitsu, Judo and Karate, where you’ll be under the aegis of experienced professional coaches. A fast-growing club, Karting race all over the North-East of England, both indoors and outdoors. Kendo – the Japanese “way of the sword” – and Mixed Martial Arts take us to the half-way point on this rundown. At different ends of the altitude spectrum are Mountaineering, who host regular trips to the Peak District and Yorkshire Dales, and Octopush which is hockey. Played underwater.

Arguably the sexiest way to get fit on campus is with Pole Exercise, the first club of its kind in the country. Polo are a club making their mark at York, taking part in national competitions. No previous riding experience necessary, although the university does, of course, have its own specialist Horse Riding club! Pool and Snooker, who compete at all levels from college to national, offer coaching to improve your game. So dominant at Roses, Sailing and Windsurfing practice at the Beaver Club near Selby. Skydiving rightfully hold the claim to be the most high adrenaline club on campus, allowing you to become a qualified jumper in no time. The largest sports and social club on campus, Ski and Snowboard (YUsnow) are forging a name for themselves on the national circuit and run yearly trips to the Alps.Unbeatable at Roses, the Squash club enjoyed one of their most successful seasons in 2008-2009, with the women’s firsts storming to victory in the inaugural BUCS Cup tournament. Sub Aqua offer the opportunity to feed a wolf-fish in St. Abbs, touch the gun of a German battleship in Scapa Flow or play with a dogfish in Plymouth Sound.

Surf claims to be cooler than cool, catching waves both at home and abroad. The Swimming and Water Polo club caters for serious and casual swimmers alike at the Archbishop Holgate School. Table Tennis are a prestigious club, who grow stronger and stronger in BUCS competition with each passing year. Tae Kwon Do and Tai Chi complete our set of martial arts. Trampolining are a growing club on campus, meeting on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays in the Dance Studio. Finally, Ultimate Frisbee is an equally exhilarating spectacle indoors or outdoors, and always proves a smash at Roses. York also boasts a thriving college sport scene, a chance to prove your loyalties across a range of sports, including darts, netball, basketball, rugby and football. So, there we have it, the full line-up. And if your sport isn’t there, feel free to create your own and apply for York Sport funding.