University confirms free bus service to run between campuses

The University have today confirmed that they will be paying for a free bus service to transport people between the Heslington East and Heslington West campuses.

The bus will be a continuation of the number six First bus service which would usually run between town and B&Q. The bus will now continue to the Heslington East campus and then on to Heslington West, before returning to Heslington East and rejoining its usual route.

The service will be free for anybody traveling between the two stops, without any student identification needed, and will be funded by the University for the academic year.

YUSU President Tim Ngwena supported the University’s decision to fund the travel, today stating that “this is great because not only does it make travel easier but it also allows for the full integration of the college into University life.”

The free bus service will be available from tomorrow, Saturday 3rd October.

1. Excuse me the pedantry but you mean ‘its usual route’. On a different note, great news :)

2. 3 Oct ’09 at 4:44 pm

Inspector Morse

This is excellent news, but I wonder how much the University is giving First for this service? After all such a service would cost a pittance to put on – an extra hundred yards or so isn’t much. I hope the University bargained hard with our £3,000 fees!

3. 3 Oct ’09 at 5:17 pm

Sergeant Lewis

Well Morse, think about it. There aren’t many other bus services in York, First may have proposed to the Uni and without any other rival companies bidding First could have proposed any price they want and the Uni would have had to pay, for sake of pleasing the students.

4. 3 Oct ’09 at 6:21 pm

Inspector Morse

I do belive that the University has probably been ripped off. Interesting that the service should start in time for the Open Day on Tuesday as well. First has a monopoly and has probably flexed its muscles to get its way, just like they did with the introduction of the FTR and “persuaded” York City Council to pay for all the roads to be widened to accomodate it.

5. 3 Oct ’09 at 6:52 pm

Sergeant Lewis

Well for a company that has revenue of £4,707.6 million and over 100,000 employees it probably does flex it’s muscles and try’s and gets it’s own way.

6. Thank god this has happened, frankly the Uni would have been negligent not to have provided some form of free or affordable travel between the two campuses – particularly whilst the new campus is lacking so many facilities. So what else are you willing to do for students, UoY? Fewer bar closures? Decent sports facilities? … didn’t think so.

7. 5 Oct ’09 at 1:12 pm

Andrew Linton

Now all they have to do is improve accommodation (particularly Halifax College), campus facilities (Costcutter is a joke), teaching standards, leadership, infrastructure………

8. 5 Oct ’09 at 8:45 pm

builders bum

hmm, im not sure if i would like to live in a building site, even if the rooms are nice, although it could be rather fun, after a night out climbing up a jcb.

could some please tell me if there is going to be a cash point or shop on hes east if not thats a massive bummer, with a 10 min walk to get cash and even further to the cost cutter on campus.

9. There will be a small shop for a trial period, called the ‘Store Cupboard’, and run by Costcutter. It will be open from 17:30-19:30 Monday to Friday.

I don’t think I’ve read about any cash points, though the campus doesn’t currently need one as there isn’t much to buy!

10. @builders bum

Living up the road in Osbaldwick, I know there’s a cash point about 2 minutes walk out of New GC & Hes’ East at the BP Petrol Station (which is open 24 hours I think) on the large round-about. This is also close to bus stops on the route into town, so isn’t out of the way.

11. 11 Oct ’09 at 3:56 pm

Oliver Lester

The price of the student day return into town has increased to £2.50 which is a bit rubbish though.

12. First York really need to get their act together. Here’s what they do in markets where they actually have competition: http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/yorkhumber/southyorkshire/students/new.php

13. Will someone correct that damn typo?

it’s = it is

its = belonging to ‘it’

14. I’m curious why I’ve not seen any publicity yet on the decision to stop this service as of today despite the claim in this article of it being funded for the whole academic year.