York City battle from behind to down Harriers

Goals from in-form strike duo Richard Brodie and Michael Gash delivered another victory for the Minstermen on Saturday

The irresistible form of strikers Richard Brodie and Michael Gash continues to propel York City up the Blue Square Premier table, their latest victims being Kidderminster Harriers, who went down 3-2 at Bootham Crescent on Saturday.

Despite being handicapped by the ninth-minute dismissal of defender Gavin Caines, Kidderminster gave a superb account of themselves, mustering twice as many goal attempts as their hosts, but to no avail. With rising attendances and a red-hot front line, the Minstermen find themselves in the kind of form where defeat is simply not countenanced, whomever the opposition might be.

They remain undefeated at home this season, and have taken full advantage of a freak sequence of four consecutive home fixtures to establish themselves in the play-off positions. Brodie, a striker much maligned in previous seasons, has blossomed under manager Martin Foyle and his almost telepathic connection with £55,000 signing Gash has now delivered 13 goals in the last six outings alone.

Here, however, York had to win the hard way, falling behind carelessly within two minutes of kick-off. On practically their first attack, Kidderminster’s Brian Smikle met David McDermott’s pinpoint right-wing delivery to open the scoring.

The match hinged on a refereeing decision seven minutes later, which would ultimately determine the destination of the three points. Caines tried to atone for a slip in defence by fouling Brodie, who had broken clear, inside the penalty area. After Caines had received his marching orders, Brodie picked himself up to roll the ball past Dean Coleman and level the match.

And it was the England ‘C’ international who edged York into the ascendancy – a situation they are becoming increasingly comfortable in – on 32 minutes. With Kidderminster’s numerical disadvantage momentarily exacerbated as Nathan Hayward receiving treatment for a head injury, Andy Ferrell picked out Djoumin Sangare in the box. The French defender, who had marauded forward, glanced the ball temptingly across the danger area and Brodie chested home.

Gash stretched the lead to 3-1 just before the hour mark, meeting Adam Smith’s right-flank cross to head home from six yards, but York’s work had only just begun. The visitors, adopting the philosophy that attack was the best form of defence, reduced the deficit almost immediately when Matthew Barnes-Homer fired McDermott’s lay-off through a congested penalty area and underneath the body of Michael Ingham in the York goal.

Ingham compensated for this misjudgement with a couple of late saves as York weathered the unexpected storm, eventually feeling relieved to come away with the maximum points haul. The Minstermen continue their series of home matches against Stevenage Borough this Saturday (kick-off 3.00pm) before travelling to Tamworth on Tuesday 6th October.