York City preserve unbeaten record at the death

Michael Gash’s dramatic late header earned the Minstermen a point at home to Cambridge United on Tuesday evening

An 89th-minute equaliser from Michael Gash earned York City a 2-2 draw with Cambridge United on Tuesday night, salvaging their unbeaten league sequence, which now stands at eight matches. Gash, the striker rejected by Cambridge, rose highest to head home Adam Smith’s accurate right-wing cross, rescuing a point for the Minstermen which had seemed lost when Jai Reason and Mark Beesley netted twice for the U’s inside four second-half minutes.

Gash had given York the lead ten minutes shy of half-time; reacting in opportunistic style to prod home the loose ball after Andy Ferrell’s goalbound shot had ricocheted off Richard Brodie. It was a lucky break for the home side, whose upbeat passing approach had been matched stride-for-stride by Cambridge during the opening period.

The visitors, who entered the game in close proximity to York in the Blue Square Premier standings, turned the match on its head after the break. Reason fired past Michael Ingham, the York goalkeeper, following a tidy passing move to equalise with only eleven minutes remaining on the clock. The home defence had barely reorganised when Beesley, a substitute, took full advantage of Robbie Willmott’s decoy run to surge clear and sidefoot home from ten yards.

However, Gash’s late intervention ensured York currently rest eighth in a congested table, one point off the play-off berths, but ten adrift of Oxford United, the early season pace-setters. City welcome Kidderminster Harriers to Bootham Crescent on Saturday (kick-off 3.00pm) and will be hoping to stretch their unbeaten record at home to nine matches.