York City stretch unbeaten run to five

A 2-0 victory over Crawley Town and a battling goalless draw at Barrow have elevated the Minstermen to eighth position in Blue Square Premier

Resurgent York City extended their unbeaten league sequence to five matches on Tuesday, a goalless draw at Barrow following Saturday’s 2-0 home success against Crawley Town to leave them eighth in Blue Square Premier. While Oxford United have set the early pace at the top, City’s recent run of results, including their first trio of home wins in three-and-a-half years, has confirmed their play-off potential.

Once again, the strike partnership of Richard Brodie and Michael Gash delivered the goods at Bootham Crescent over the weekend, proving too hot for Crawley to handle. Manager Martin Foyle has certainly inspired Brodie’s best form and the frontman confidently sidefooted past Simon Rayner from the penalty spot on six minutes, after Dominic Collins, the defender, had hauled him over.

Just four minutes later, Gash doubled City’s lead; collecting Brodie’s intuitive flick-on, swivelling past his marker and firing low beyond Rayner from eight yards. Between them, the two forwards have scored six times in their three starts together.

Both could have added to their impressive tallies during a one-sided first-half as York overwhelmed their opponents, but the score would remain at two. Alex Lawless was particularly influential in the centre of a midfield which is showing signs of genuine solidity, scooping the man-of-the-match accolade.

The Minstermen headed to a soggy Holker Street on Tuesday night to confront a Barrow side desperate to atone for their 6-1 home humiliation against Rushden and Diamonds three days previously. In the event, both sides neutralised each other in a fairly entertaining stalemate, with York’s Gash hitting the underside of the crossbar in the opening period and his partner-in-crime Brodie squandering a gilt-edged headed opportunity after the break.

City play the first of four consecutive home Conference fixtures this Saturday against Kettering Town, who currently lie second, five points behind pace-setters Oxford.