York Student to run as Liberal Democrats candidate

A current York Student has been selected to run as the Liberal Democrat Candidate for the position of Councillor in the Wroxham ward of the Broadland District Council in Norfolk.

Ben McGilvray, a 19 year old 2nd year History student, convinced a selection committee that he was the best candidate to represent the Liberal Democrats in the by-election. McGilvray is a regular campaigner and holds the position of secretary in the York University Liberal Democrats.

The by-election comes after David Teager, the previous Independent Councillor for the ward, sadly lost a two month battle to cancer.

If elected, McGilvray will be one of the youngest Councillors in the country.

His age hasn’t appeared to be a “barrier” during campaigning so far. McGilvray responded critics, asking “would the party have picked me if they didn’t think I could do a good job?”

“I would be delighted and extremely honoured if I was elected. I think it would be great for the area to have a young and energetic person on the council.”

McGilvray went on to state, “if we play the campaign right and make the right decisions and get some momentum, we’ve got a reasonable chance of winning.” He also highlighted how the Liberal Democrats are famed for their local campaigning.

Even if he doesn’t win this election, McGilvray describes the by-election as a good base to win votes in the area for the General Election next year.

Many of his fellow party members are tipping him for victory though. Barbara Rix, councillor for Buxton, described McGilvray as “a fresh face” and the “best choice for local people.”

The Broadland District Council has 33 Conservative councillors, 10 Liberal Democrat councillors, but Labour have no councillors currently representing them. The by-election will take place on the 1st of October.