UKIP MEP Godfrey Bloom: The Future of the EU

talks about the future of the EU

The speed at which world events move seems ever faster and potentially more dangerous. Yet to the historian World War was probably considered absolutely impossible even as late as June 1914.

All the Royal Families of Europe were closely related. A war was clearly not in anyone’s economic interest. Indeed most economist’s of the day thought a prolonged war was fiscally impractical; militarily, with the exception of Lord Kitchener it “would be over by Christmas”

As America, the dominant power of the twentieth century declines – paralleling the British Empire towards the end of the 19th – we can expect a new world to develop economically and militarily. The key for survival will be in the flexibility and speed at which countries can react. Highly taxed and regulated economies with outdated social models will fade away. World capital and information technology will drive this, not politics. We are already beginning to see the impotence of timeserving, corrupt, journeyman politicians in the face of world events.

Moreover the self-serving, unaccountable bureaucracies and quangos with their gravity defying pensions will be swept aside. The constrictions of the single currency and one interest rate fits all will have gone, perhaps well before most people expect.

The corrupt shambolic Byzantine European Union will be just a memory. The people of France, Holland and Ireland have already rejected it, as would have Great Britain if our deceitful politicians had abided by their manifesto election promise to hold a referendum. We are already seeing the demise of the political class hastened by their own excesses and contempt for the electorate.

A new order will evolve; the political class will recede. Welfare reform will be forced on reluctant governments used to bribing people with their own money. Already in the UK there are twice as many people employed in the public sector as manufacturing.

Regulation, by people with no commercial experience is already driving the service industry abroad. The decline in educational standards in the industrialized western democracies will be arrested because they have to be.

Political interference in every aspect of our lives will recede by public demand. The great climate change moneymaking binge is already being exposed for the scientific nonsense it is. For Britain we will again turn to the Commonwealth where culture, free enterprise and a common language will be a main stay in the new order. Political correctness will be looked back at with amazement and ridicule.

The world will have to become sensible again. It will, but there is more pain on the way. It will have to get worse before it gets better. Perhaps it has already started?

1. I’ve just voted in the European elections; amazingly I found myself voting UKIP.

I used to be quite idealistic about the EU, but now it seems bloated, bureaucratic, corrupt, corporatist, anti-democratic and the opposite of the localism that we really need.

2. The EU is, as things stand, corrupt. The problem is that there are something like 5 EU-specific parties running; UKIP is the most famous but the BNP might get votes too. I think there are some golden alternatives (no2eu and libertas) but we’ll have to see who ends up with seats! It’ll be interesting to see how they fare compared to the three main parties, anyway!

3. 29 May ’09 at 5:43 pm

Alexios Mantzarlis

“The EU is, as things stand, corrupt”

If that argument is your argument to secede from the EU, then you should also secede from your own expenses-guzzling country.

And as of Libertas, its candidates have asked to shut down Ireland from EU immigrant workers which have, before the recession, had fuelled its growth. So it doesn’t seem to me like a ‘golden alternative’.

Overall, some pretty lousy political analysis, Jason.

4. Mr Bloom is speaking to the New Generation Society on campus *THIS EVENING*!

7pm, V/C/123 – it’s in the shiny new C block in Vanbrugh.

He’s always an interesting speaker, and is always keen to engage with tough questions. Do come along!

5. Aren’t libertas.eu slightly different from the rest of the anti-EU parties in that they are advocating reform from within and not a hasty withdrawal?

6. Indeed, Libertas are a cross-EU party too, which is pretty interesting. For details on all the parties, don’t forget to click the EU Elections link at the top of the page and use the snazzy lightboxes ;)