Richard James Mitchell withdraws candidacy in YUSU by-elections

Photo credit: YSTV

Photo credit: YSTV

Richard James Mitchell has decided to withdraw his candidacy in the current YUSU by-elections, due to what he calls the “pressures of time and other personal reasons.”

Mitchell was running for the re-created position of YUM Chair, which is now contested by Mike Regan and Anna Bucks.

Mitchell sent a message to his Facebook group ‘Vote Mitch for an independent, experienced York Uni Media Chair’ at approximately 11am this morning, say that it was with “great disappointment” that he must withdraw is candidacy.

He attributes time issues and personal reasons to being unable to campaign as he “would have liked to have done”, and he added that “circumstances have come to light which may seriously hinder my ability to assume the roles in the next academic year were I successful in these by-­elections.”

Mitchell campaign policies centred on his GSA and film-making experience, and promised to ensure that “student welfare will come first” and help allocate funds fairly.

Mitchell has also withdrawn his candidacy for the position of Rules & Revision Committee Ordinary Member.

He added: “I wish the other candidates the best of luck and hope the victors do almost as
awesome a job as I would have done.”

You can vote in YUSU’s by-elections at www.yusu.org/vote. Voting closes midday tomorrow.