Second team units are good picks

Firstly…Goodricke Seconds beat last season’s LEAGUE CHAMPIONS Vanbrugh Firsts today. Yep, you read that right – it was 3-2. Now that’s what I call cup magic

Firstly…Goodricke Seconds beat last season’s LEAGUE CHAMPIONS Vanbrugh Firsts today. Yep, you read that right – it was 3-2. Now that’s what I call cup magic.

OK, so week two didn’t feature any of those thrived-upon upsets we crave, but what it did do was show that you don’t have to be Dom O’Shea or Jake Delaney to make a mark on the Fantasy scene.

If you check out the leading players thus far in the College Cup, leaping off the page are the three second teamers mingling with the big-shots in the top seven. Craig Macklin (£3.4m) bagged two last week against Halifax thirds and subsequently picked up the Man of the Match award. That’s 2 points for appearance, 10 for the goals, 3 for the MotM, and another 2 for a clean sheet to give him 17 for the day.

Additionally John Carrol (£3m) has been banging them in for James Seconds and has 14 Fantasy Points to go along with consequitive Team of the Week appearances in defense; and Matt Scaysbrook’s (£3m) stunning free kick against Alcuin today has him in third place overall with 17 after a goal-scoring MotM performance last week.

It’s in those areas that this competition will be won. Selecting several £7m or £8m players forces you into picks from the lesser teams, and finding value there is absolutely key. Players like Dave Coulson (£1.9m) may be cheap but carefully scouting out underrated second and third teamers could earn you those few extra points that make all the difference come the end of June.

Start ’em: Miles McDermott – who scored and picked up Man of the Match against Vanbrugh Seconds today – is cracking value at £3.9m having gone from twelth man to regular starter for Alcuin Firsts since the beginning of term. One for the window.

Sit ’em: Ed Lacaille is in a poor run of form for Derwent Firsts and a terrible miss last Thursday makes his £4.8m price-tage look rather ridiculous. Elsewhere, Ali Prince deserves a starting chance after a goalscoring performance off the bench today, but with Vanbrugh in danger of an early exit and Prince currently playing second fiddle to Tristan Buckley and Mark Gouland, he looks overvalued at £5.2m.

1. I happen to think Ed Lacaille is a great buy, and enjoys the big occasion. Watch out for Laccers in the knock-out rounds. He might just shock you, Dan Hyde.

2. The boy’s in form, banged in two goals for the seconds yesterday!