Drunken student takes Ouse dive

First year Chemistry student Shouab Deputy was rescued by the ambulance services after falling into the River Ouse on Wednesday night following an intense bout of drinking.

The Alcuin college member said: “I fell in the water and then swam for a bit. I’m not sure how I managed to get out but I’m pretty sure I did it by myself.”

After Deputy removed himself from the river, he noticed he was in a residential quad: “I climbed over the gate and started knocking on windows. Some man came out and I guess he called the ambulance.”

Deputy, despite having no idea where he was or how he got there, was pleased to see the NHS ambulance officials and their foil blankets as he was “shivering like hell.”

He arrived at the hospital at 1am where the nurses covered him with an inflatable blanket filled with hot air. Deputy said: “They, I mean I, took my clothes off as I was shaking. I went to sleep and woke up sober.”

Deputy was then treated to an antiseptic shower before being given three stitches on his face. The University was not informed, although the Health Centre have arranged a appointment to have the stitches removed.

YUSU Academic and Welfare Officer Charlie Leyland stated: “It’s easy to forget how vulnerable you are to the normal hazards and dangers of living in a city when we’re cooped up in our campus bubble. Let this be a lesson to us all. It’s so simple: look after yourselves and each other and don’t take unnecessary risks.”

Deputy hopes not to have a repeat of the experience.

1. 25 May ’09 at 9:32 am

Michael Appleton

He he he “He was then treated to an antiseptic shower”, you lucky thing, it was a special treat for you.

2. YUSU Academic and Welfare Officer Charlie Leyland stated: “It’s easy to forget how vulnerable you are to the normal hazards and dangers of living in a city when we’re cooped up in our campus bubble”

What a great quote. Sometimes it’s easy to forget that swimming while pissed can be dangerous.

3. Well, it’s not as if swimming in a polluted river is what you’d call a ‘normal hazard and danger of living in a city’, is it?