Welcome to Start ’em Sit ’em

Welcome to Start ‘em Sit ‘em. Every week I’ll be reflecting on the best – and worst – College Cup performers, taking a closer look at those bargain basement buys in the Fantasy market

Shaun Evans. Those two words embody everything wonderful about the first week of the College Cup. A hat-trick, a clean sheet (he’s registered as a defender) and the Man of the Match award went the ex-University Football Club President’s way after Halifax Firsts demolished Vanbrugh Thirds 9-0, giving him what may turn out to be an insurmountable individual match total of 22 Fantasy Points. And somebody told me Vanbrugh had one of the better third teams, too…

Welcome to Start ‘em Sit ‘em. Every week I’ll be reflecting on the best – and worst – College Cup performers, taking a closer look at those bargain basement buys in the Fantasy market. Don’t forget there’s a Transfer Window coming up where you’ll be able to make four crucial changes to your team – and I’m sure everyone’s as desperate as I am to see Adlou dislodged from his lofty comfort zone atop of the FF table. I’ll be previewing that in more detail as it draws ever closer in week 7.

If you head over to the Fantasy Football home page there’s also a Team of the Week on display: this is simply the best 4-4-2 team of players according to points over the last game week and is a tip-top indication of players currently “on toast” (credit: Alan Hansen).

Shaun Evans is this week’s Player of the Week and a nailed-on starter in Team of the Week, but don’t necessarily expect to see him there in the future. He told me he was “just as surprised as you are” by his stunning hat-trick showing and, boy, wasn’t it a surprise? He’ll be a good buy over the course, especially with the start he’s made, but expect Halifax to begin conceding when they’re pitted against the tougher teams and, unfortunately, the goals to dry up for Shaun.

Standouts from week one include John Carrol (£3m, 7 points) for James Seconds – a decent outfit, despite clean sheets not being their forte – and Nav Jakarkhyl (£4m, 10 points) who had an absolute stormer for current Cup favourites Derwent Firsts, notching 2 goals in their 5-0 win.

Ardent fans of Tom Wilson (£7.8m), Joe Brennan (£6.2m) and University Second Team captain Alex Richards (£5.9m) will be bitterly disappointed after they failed to show for their respective colleges in the week of the Eurovision song contest: they all languish on nil points.

I’ll be here at regularly sporadic intervals over the weeks with the best titbits from the College Cup and all your best buys to boot.

[slideshow]collegecup[/slideshow]