College Cup Round-up: Matchweek 1

The College Cup is finally underway, and the early pace-setters are Derwent Firsts. Catch up on all the action in our weekly round-up

Photo: George Lowther

Photo: George Lowther

Check your Fantasy Football points and position now.

Well, after the almost surreal York domination during Roses weekend – and the heavy nights of celebration that followed – the College Cup is finally underway.

Each week at Nouse, we’ll be bringing you a round-up of all the action, featuring our Man of the Match picks. This week, the early running has been set by a very impressive Derwent Firsts, closely followed by Goodricke Firsts. If truth be told, though, the competition is still in its tender infancy, and many first teams have only played the weakest opposition in their group so far. But James Firsts will be a little disappointed after today’s 0-0 with Vanbrugh Seconds, and those two teams will battle it out with Alcuin Firsts for the two qualification spots in what may well be the most hotly contested group.

But without further ado, here’s the Nouse team’s first week round-up:

MONDAY 11 MAY 2009

Derwent Thirds 0 Goodricke Firsts 5
An uncompromising Goodricke made light work of their Derwent opponents on the opening morning of the College Cup football tournament 2009, the tournament holders sending out a powerful message while never really going through their higher gears. Dom O’Shea inflicted the damage with four goals, doubtless delighting the dozens of people who picked the veteran university firsts striker in their Nouse Fantasy Football teams.

It could have been more, in truth, but for the reflexes of Derwent thirds’ goalkeeper Krish Yellappa, sporting some fiery red facepaint, who pulled off a couple of excellent first-half saves. With Man of the Match Adam Leadbeater marshalling the midfield, however, it was only a matter of time before Goodricke opened the scoring in this year’s tournament and O’Shea notched his first from the edge of the ’D’ on the stroke of half-time.

A serene finish from the frontman settled matters shortly after the restart, before a cracking third from the same man, a powerful long-range effort which swerved beyond Yellappa, moved the game to the brink of humiliation. David Coupland’s exquisite curled finish provided number four and, with Derwent demoralised, O’Shea found the same corner of the net late on with Ben Smith lurking for the rebound. Smith claimed the goal from the rebound, but after extensive analysis of the replays, Nouse can confirm that O’Shea’s strike did in fact go over the line before it bounced into Smith’s path. With Remi Remington, O’Shea and Ronan Joyce looking sharp, despite completing Roses fixtures the previous afternoon, Goodricke remain a force to be reckoned with in this year’s tournament. ADAM SHERGOLD

Langwith Firsts 1 Halifax Seconds 2

In Monday morning’s second match, Halifax unveiled their strength in depth, coming from behind to stun Langwith 2-1 on the JLD Astroturf. After a low-key opening, Langwith opened the scoring mid-way through the first-half when Patrick Sloane slotted the ball home neatly from a tight angle. However, Halifax wasted little time in responding, as defender Tom Patrickson’s well-placed header brought the scores level.

Connor Brennan, a crossover player from the first team, produced the winning moment, as his bullet header highlighted defensive deficiencies in the Langwith team from set-pieces. Jez Hann, who was central to all Langwith’s moves, collected the Man of the Match accolade. ADAM SHERGOLD

Halifax Firsts 9 Vanbrugh Thirds 0

Following the success of their seconds’ team, Halifax firsts annihilated sorry-looking Vanbrugh on Monday afternoon, with Dom Green helping himself to an opening day hat-trick in this stroll. They had taken command of the match, and Group Four, by the break, scoring four times through Green (2) and Mark Lund.

Further embarrassment occurred in the second period, with one-way Halifax traffic yielding five more goals. Green, firstly, completed his hat-trick, before Shaun Evans added three and strikes from Tom Ragan and Connor Brennan rounded off an easy afternoon’s work. Evans, so commanding, was named Man of the Match. ADAM SHERGOLD

James Seconds 3 Wentworth Firsts 1

James showed great resolve in coming from behind against Wentworth to get off and running in Group Four in Monday’s final game. The match also witnessed the tournament’s first sending-off, with Wentworth defender Lovelace dismissed for slapping Alex Collins after a tussle in the penalty area. Wentworth had started brightly, with Dave White coming back to haunt his old college with the opening goal.

James were reinvigorated in the second-half, and with Man of the Match Adam Dunnett strong in defence, they attacked more regularly, equalising through Alex Sharp. The goal affected Wentworth, a physical side, and John Carrol’s sweetly-struck free-kick edged them in front, their third coming from the penalty spot – Collins slotting home – after the aforementioned incident. ADAM SHERGOLD

Check your Fantasy Points and position now or register if you haven’t yet at Nouse Fantasy Foobtball.

Tuesday 12 May

Derwent Firsts 5 Goodricke Seconds 0
When a disasterous refereeing performance from the unknown Wentworth officiator of Derwent Firsts vs. Goodricke Seconds slammed his whistle to the floor and stormed off of the JLD Astroturf, you knew the College Cup had well and truly started.

Severe baiting from the sidelines – Dan Taylor’s voice powerful, grating hollers rising above all – had the poor voluntary ref close to tears as he walked off claiming “Look, I’m not a real ref!”. Quite right, but his decision making until that point hadn’t been too bad and certainly hadn’t stopped Man of the Match Chris Barnett banging in two goals. Nav Jakarkyl also stood out for Derwent Firsts alongside Matt Hallam in the middle of the park.

A 5-0 drubbing of a decent Goodricke team has done nothing to harm Derwent’s “favourites” tag and Mark Gouland summed up their strength brilliantly: “just look at that defense, that’s a top-notch line-up”. DAN HYDE

Vanbrugh Firsts 3 Halifax Thirds 0

In the day’s other game, Vanbrugh Firsts laboured to a 3-0 win over Halifax Thirds. Like Dom O’Shea’s fourth yesterday, Tristan Buckley’s wind/keeper-assisted goal caused much controversy, but Nouse awarded him the three Fantasy Points after much deliberation.

Ex-Vanbrugh chair and central midfielder Matt Oliver felt that his team had struggled to find their rhythm against weak opposition and told Nouse, “we were sluggist. We’ll have to improve on that performance next week.” Liam Regan picked up Man of the Match for his efforts in the middle of the park and looks good fantasy value at £4.6m. NABEEL MOOSA and DAN HYDE

Thursday 14 May

ALCUIN FIRSTS 5 GOODRICKE THIRDS 0
The first match of Thursday’s College Cup fixtures saw Alcuin win somewhat comfortably against a resilient Goodricke side. Ed Murrills and Dan Cox both bagged a brace on the rain slick Astroturf. But, no doubt, the star of the show was Goodricke keeper Matthew Brennan, who saved his team from an embarrassing result with some outstanding saves.

The possession, as expected, was all Alcuin but the brave Goodricke side, thanks to their keeper and clearances off the line, only leaked two goals in the first half. An Alcuin counter saw Jake Delaney neatly finish before Dan Cox got his first with a tidy goal. The second half was much of the same with a now relaxed Alcuin side passing tidily and grabbing another three goals. Dan Cox pocketed his second with a dink over the keeper and Ed Murrills tapped in his first before his deflected curler hit the top corner. Man of the Match only really had one contender – Goodricke keeper, Matthew Brennan. NABEEL MOOSA

JAMES FIRSTS 0 VANBRUGH SECONDS 0

A dogged defensive performance from Vanbrugh kept James at bay in this Thursday afternoon stalemate. The frustration for James, who boasted two university first-teamers, was compounded by Alcuin’s 5-0 thumping of Goodricke, which leaves them with immediate catching-up to do in Group Three.

Bolstered by captain and first-team crossover Chris Schultz at centre-back, Vanbrugh were never tested in a dire first-half as Mark McLeod, Mark Johnson and others were forced to resort to long-range efforts which failed to trouble Tom Margiotta. On the one occasion McLeod’s passing did penetrate the green backline, James Offord could only fire across the face of goal with options arriving.

As their confidence grew, Vanbrugh started audacious counter-attacks, inspired by Man of the Match Ali Prince, another inclusion from the first team. Tim Green, who had replaced Sam Clitheroe at half-time, was forced into a pair of excellent saves from Prince and later from Jamie Clarke. Many expected James to score a heartbreaking late goal, but a combination of spirited defending and off-target shooting ensured Vanbrugh a deserved share of the spoils. ADAM SHERGOLD

1. ‘Severe baiting from the sidelines – Dan Taylor’s voice powerful, grating hollers rising above all – had the poor voluntary ref close to tears as he walked off claiming “Look, I’m not a real ref!”.’

– What does Dan Taylor know about football?! It’s not easy being a ref, and maybe if Taylor was fit enough to run around the JLD for 60 minutes then he could do the job. Unfortunately, that is probably impossible.

2. “maybe if Taylor was fit enough to run around the JLD for 60 minutes then he could do the job.”

I’m pretty sure I’m more than fit enough to ref. a football match, thanks. I’ve done tougher chaenges in my time (run up Snowdon, row 19k etc). He had a hard time with the banter- Derwent’s support was all too much I guess. Perhaps ‘protection for referees’ could be the next UGM for Jason Rose to propose? Maybe ‘refs victimised by Dan Taylor’ could have their own loos?

3. Whoa there, I’m not sure what has annoyed you Mike, but I imagine it was not the ref himself. I think it is extremely cheap to have a dig at a guy you have never met, a guy who was trying to do others a favour by volunteering to ref.

I don’t know what point you are trying to make with your post – especially as the match was three weeks ago, but chucking in a joke at Jason Rose’s expense doesn’t make it any more insightful, or any less ignorant for that matter.

4. Meh, jokes at my expense are fine: I’m not bothered.

Referees should be protected against attacks; we’ve been short of them before now and it’s not surprising considering the abuse they can sometimes get – don’t forget that it’s a difficult job at the best of times and they’re volunteers. On the other hand, a UGM would have to come up with an actual resolution and I can’t think of anything that needs to be put into place as policy. Not exactly sure that they need their own toilets, either.