Sofia Redgrave

80s style is alive and kicking. Some may call it a blip in fashion’s history best forgotten, but, as most of us did not have the chance to experience it first time round, I think it is only fair we get a look in now. I have been warned that 80s style is not for the fashion weak, but stop shuddering with thoughts of leg warmers and lycra as it may surprise you that some of the styles are not so bad second time round.  

If you hadn’t already clocked on crop tops are back. Daisy Lowe sported the look (a silk cami version) at the recent Coachella festival, combined with tiny denim shorts. Some have criticised her for revealing too much flesh, but, if you can pull it off then why not, especially in the Californian sun. The midriff featured heavily on the catwalk this S/S 09 from Prada to Alexander Wang, warming up the look for our celebrities. Although successful for Miss Lowe, I predict we will see many try this look and fail miserably. Also, as the summer matures we will witness these crop tops shrink in size – from a short baggy t-shirt to a tight fitting bra top. I would reserve the latter for anyone with a washboard stomach. Otherwise layer with longer cami tops underneath. 

Next up are shoulder pads. The accentuated shoulder has been all over the catwalk this season, from Gareth Pugh in London to Balenciaga in Paris. The new season sees a step up from the old 80s Dynasty style of wearing reinforced shoulders. No longer a box-shaped jacket, it’s now all tiny waists, tapered jackets and ultra wide shoulders. This is power dressing take two, and there is no way of hiding the fact that you are recreating a full on fashion look. For those of us who can’t afford the £2,920 pricetag of the Balmain jacket (pictured), log onto ELLE.tv which has just posted a ‘how to’ video, giving step by step instructions on how to recreate the Balmain look. They even suggest sewing shoulder pads onto a t-shirt, but the ‘casual power shoulder’ is to me, something of an oxymoron. 

On to leotards: once reserved for garish 80’s workout videos, ballerinas and Jane Fonda, this all in one piece has now become everyday wear. Starlets from Lindsay Lohan to Lady Gaga have been spotted sporting the trend – Lady Gaga more daringly than the rest. Wear with skinny jeans and a jacket to complete the look, allowing some extra time for those bathroom breaks. American Apparel has the best selection.
80’s fashion is in this summer, so it’s time to embrace all acid wash denim and the above, but let us hope the trend doesn’t spiral. We do not want bouffant hair, blue eye shadow and legwarmers featuring on next year’s catwalks.