Kennedy lecture at York

It has been revealed that this year’s Kennedy Lecturer will be Lord Puttnam of Queensgate. The lecture will take place on Thursday 21st May in V/045 at 5.00pm.

It will be hosted by the New Generation Society (NGS) York.

David Puttnam made his name in the film industry, producing films such as The Mission, Chariots of Fire, The Killing Fields and Bugsy Malone.

An NGS Press Release said: “After a spirited attempt to reform the ways of Hollywood as Chairman and Chief Executive of Columbia Pictures David Puttnam was made a life peer in 1997. He has also served as President of the UK branch of UNICEF.”

From 2004-2005 Puttnam chaired the Hansard Society Commission on the Communication of Parliamentary Democracy, the final report of which urged all political parties to commit to a renewal of parliamentary life in an attempt to reinvigorate representative democracy.

Puttnam also has strong educational associations. He became the first chancellor of the University of Sunderland in 1997, and was appointed an Honorary Doctor of Education during the School of Education and Lifelong Learning’s.

It is anticipated that in this year’s Kennedy Lecture Lord Puttnam will examine how we must reform UK politics to make our system relevant and effective for the 21st Century.

The Kennedy Lecture is the annual keynote lecture of NGS. The lecture is named in honour of President John F. Kennedy, and brings together the whole NGS to consider the broad challenges and opportunities of our generation.

Last year’s Kennedy Lecture was delivered in 2008 by Sir Crispin Tickell, who spoke on the threat of climate change to the human future.