Eden’s Court attacker arrested as University review begins

A student was injured on 2 May at Eden’s Court, leading to the arrest of one intruder in connection with the attacks. The arrest has prompted calls for a review by the University.

The incident, which saw a small gang attack student accommodation with rocks, led to the injured student being taken to hospital by an ambulance for treatment.

The University of York has offered a statement in response. It said: “University security officers attended the incident within 3 minutes of the alarm being raised”, adding that “the police were called, and one person, not a member of the University, was arrested.” The University adds that it is “aware that there are disagreements about the handling of this incident and is working with all concerned to resolve this matter.”

Concerns over the conduct of the members of Security Services who attended the scene when the alarm was raised have come to light, as a staff member was reported to have “squared up” to a student who had “demanded that the security provide help,” verbally threatening and abusing him. The student involved labelled the response as “completely out of order”.

The Acting Provost of Derwent, Rob Aitken, has said: “The college welfare team is very much aware of the serious incident”. He added that “several students were understandably upset.”

Aitken has also defended the performance of the Security Services in their response. He stated that “they responded immediately to the incident and worked closely with police and ambulance services.”

“I would also like to commend residents at Eden’s Court and the Security Service for their handling of the situation overall,” he added.

The Eden’s Court students involved, who have chosen to remain anonymous, stated that while the Security Services “did an overall good job”, they that hope “security services take note of what happened.” They added: “We will be taking the matter to the next Derwent JCRC meeting” in order to decide what they will do about the issue.

The attacks on University property follow concerns for the safety of University accommodation raised earlier in the year, when the Jewish Society’s ‘Hillel House’ was broken into and searched, and security patrols were increased in response to a number of attacks during Welcome Week.

1. Nice to see your getting some original stories.