York men’s seconds brush aside Lancaster in rugby

An impressive display saw York run out easy victors in the first Rugby match of Saturday afternoon

Photo: Justyn Hardcastle

Photo: Justyn Hardcastle

YORK SECONDS 32 LANCASTER SECONDS 3

An impressive display of running rugby saw York run out easy victors in the first of the hotly anticipated fifteen-a-side clashes that took place on Saturday.

York’s backline tormented the Lancastrian defence- running in four tries- and may reflect that had the execution of the final pass been better on occasions, the score could have been over 50. It took a while for York to make their dominance tell; the hosts, playing with a strong wind at their backs, lead 6-3 midway through the first period due to two Seb Hurst penalties. After being camped in Lancaster’s 22 for much of the match, York got the breakthrough they deserved – Jack Miles finally breaching the visitors’ line.
Lancaster were still in the game at this point, but were seemingly doing their best to shoot themselves in the foot as dissent towards the linesman saw a penalty decision reversed in York’s favour. The home side took full advantage, stretching play from right to left before making space for Matt Pollen to extend the lead to 18-3 at the break.

The second half saw York’s defence given a stern examination by the robust Lancastrian ball carriers, which they passed with flying colours. The back row trio in particular used their extra mobility to great effect. Lancaster were beginning to run out of ideas and their heads began to drop allowing Hurst to break away up the touchline and score by virtue of a superbly executed chip and chase, a try he then converted.

The frustration of the away side was plain for all to see, and their cause was not helped by a sin binning for one of their second rows after he threw a punch. With the result beyond doubt moving in to the closing stages, York began to enjoy themselves and to entertain the large crowd with their expansive brand of rugby. Ollie Tilney was forced in to touch just metres from the line, but York were not to be denied, and replacement Ryan Johnston sauntered in to round off the scoring.

The result caps a reasonably good season for the Men’s Seconds where, after an early run of four straight defeats, they recovered to cement their position in the Northern Conference 3B.

Produced by York Student Television, released under a CC BY-NC-ND 2.0 license

York: James Stone, Ash Alexander, Alex Tominey, Will Forsyth, James Smallwood, Will Tate, Chris Carr, James Bennett, Sam Dudley (c), James Mortimer, Ollie Tilney, Matt Pollen, Jack Miles, Seb Hurst, Ed Drewett