First-half flourish seals win for hockey seconds

Photo: Arran Bowen-la Grange

Photo: Arran Bowen-la Grange

YORK SECONDS 2 LANCASTER SECONDS 1

A strong first half York performance was the difference in a win for the Men’s Hockey seconds, the sole York hockey victory of Saturday afternoon.

Goals from Matt North and Tom Harcourt, within a brilliant mid first-half passage of play, were enough to give York two early Roses points and stun a Lancaster team looking for a clean-sweep of wins on the Astroturf. The visitors did snatch a late consolation goal, leading to a tense finish, but York held on for the deserved victory.

The early stages were tight and little entertainment for the expanding pitch-side crowd. The best chance fell to Adam Douglas, who was kept from the Lancaster goal as the keeper competently went to ground to retrieve the ball. Midway through the half, however, York had a short corner and, as the ball came to Matt North, he confidently sent it home.

Within two minutes the ball was past the Lancaster keeper again, but no goal was given as the umpire had already blown up for a York short corner. The dominance continued and, after some outstanding passing movements, Tom Harcourt struck a lethal shot straight into the goal. 2-0 York, and a rout looked on.

Instead the second half was to be close and cagey. The wind picked up considerably, and dark clouds ominously began to threaten the busy Saturday of Roses sport. York’s Adam Douglas and Adam Tyrell were causing their opponents constant problems, with the former shooting an early chance just wide. Lancaster were attacking as well – an early chance being bravely blocked by captain Sam “Killer” Dart. A high flick was also blocked by keeper Tom Chevins, who then aggressively pushed the Lancaster player who had produced it. York soon regained their composure and were close to the victory.

Against the run of play, however, Lancaster suddenly pulled a goal back. A tense few minutes followed, including a brilliantly defended Lancaster short corner, but York held on for a fantastic victory. Dart said after the match that he felt the team had shown “strong character. We played as a team and we played for each other. I’m very proud of the boys.”

In what has been a difficult season for the men’s seconds, he has every reason to be.

Produced by York Student Television, released under a CC BY-NC-ND 2.0 license

York: Tom Chevins (GK), Luke Featherstone, James Evans, Tom Harcourt, Sam Dart (c), Matt Cade, Duncan Sills, Sam Butterfield, Will Fresson, Adam Tyrrell, Adam Douglas, Matt North, Joe Lancaster, Phillip Stewart