Trampolining title goes to Lancaster

, witness lycra, leg-slapping and a victory for Lancaster, reports from Saturday’s trampolining

Photo: Sam Newsome

Photo: Sam Newsome

As someone who viewed over four hours of intense trampoling activity, I feel I am somewhat of an expert on the subject. I think the sport deserves more respect than it gets, if for no other reason than the spectacular amount of chutzpah required to wear an extraordinarily tight, long-sleeved, spangly leotard. And don’t think the men escape, they were sporting rather upsettingly see-through white trousers although tried to reclaim some facet of manly-ness with a baggy, dark t-shirt.

The Lancaster girls, who seemed to make up most of the event, decided that t-shirts proclaiming “Rate our Moves on the Bed” were the fastest route to ensuring that the sport was taken seriously and they were treated as athletes. Still, points for their coordinated leotards and willingness to actually warm up. The York lot seemed to focus on cramming down chocolate from vending machines for energy, I suppose.

Although the novice and intermediate sections consisted mostly of awkward bouncing and over-zealous leg-slapping, the advanced and elite sections were actually pretty impressive. The sport requires a surprising amount of coordination and a willingness to throw yourself 10 feet in the air with nothing to save you but your own skill; land wrong and you could completely bugger your knees/back/neck. I’m told the most important thing when warming up is an attentive spotter. One of the Lancaster guys must not have been aware of this. He failed to catch his team mate because he was distracted by another girl trying to convince him to try on her leotard – the chat up line of choice for trampolinists everywhere.

Trampolining, surprisingly, lacks the organization of other Roses sports such as rugby or football. Most of the competitors were from Lancaster because, apparently, most of our team aren’t students and therefore can’t compete. The intermediate section was completely dominated by the other team because we didn’t have any people entered. Indeed, although there were 27 people entered, only the top three scores from each university are eligible for scores that count towards the final total.

Overall, my time in the dance studio, surrounded by lycra clad students and terrifying pieces of gym equipment was thoroughly amusing. Those who knew what they were doing were impressive while those that didn’t were funny. When asked to report on a completely irrelevant sport, could I ask for anything more?

Produced by York Student Television, released under a CC BY-NC-ND 2.0 license

1. bet they’ll be jumping for joy over this result

2. The highest three scores from each team count. Lancaster may have had 4 times as many competitors as York, but it was still a close competition, winning by only 2 points with a final score of 147.3 to 145.3.

3. I would love to see whoever wrote this report have a go at this ‘irrelevant sport’, would definitely be a you’ve been framed moment, might need a paramedic on stand-by!

4. “I feel I am somewhat of an expert”, clearly you are not. Any expert would recognise that, even at the novice level, there is a lot of skill going into every move. Most of the novice competitors will have only been using trampolines for a number of months. So, for most who have never been on a trampoline, to pull off a 10 move routine at novice level is quite impressive.

Also, I don’t think it is fair to compare the organisation of trampolining to that of something so mainstream as football or rugby. The amount of support they get from the AU dwarfs that of the trampolining club. That and the fact that articles like this are published make it hard for the club to run and attract new members each year; making a hard task even more difficult.

The call the sport irrelevant is an insult. The only thing irrelevant here is this article and our “4 hour trampolining expert Camilla”. Frankly I’m disgusted that something so derogatory to any York sport has been allowed to be published. Shame on you Nouse.

5. 11 May ’09 at 10:32 am

Jonathan Ward

I also have to say that I am quite insulted by this report, it is an insult to the sport and everyone who put hours of practice in for this event.This report doesnt reflect on the series of events at all. Get your facts right.

6. I think to call any sport “completely irrelevant” when you claim to be “somewhat of an expert on the subject” suggests an astounding amount of ignorance. If this article was meant to be tongue in cheek it clearly failed. Instead it reads as insulting and derogatory.

You suggest the club is unorganised when with far less AU support and funding than what you would call ‘more relevant’ clubs, we entered a team of five, all of whom came either first, second or third in their category and, alongside some non-student members of the club, organised and ran the whole event.

You suggest that the lower categories are ‘funny’ because they ‘consisted mostly of awkward bouncing and over-zealous leg-slapping’. As Tom says there is still skill and practice involved and remember, once upon a time even the more skilled competitiors were beginners. Everyone starts somewhere.

I’m not actually surprised by this piece. The reporters who came to watch the competition did not support York at all whilst they were in the dance hall. Whether these were Nouse reporters or from another paper, I don’t know, but they all seemed to have very little interest in learning something new.

I’m glad you enjoyed watching the higher categories, I just wish you could have more support for the beginners and the York team in general.

7. This report is appalling. It is both offensive and ignorant to call trampolining ‘irrelevant’; just because it’s not something like rugby or hockey does not, in any way, make it a lesser sport. As I’m sure the York squad will agree (kudos on managing to offend your own squad, by the way), we train hard, and to pull off the simplest shapes on a trampoline takes considerable skill and practice.

And to call the novice and intermediate competitors (myself included) ‘funny’ – well that’s just completely uncalled for. Without trying the sport for yourself, how could you ever comprehend the determination and skill involved? We compete in these events fully aware that the advanced and elite competitors are ‘better’ than us, but we – and our team mates – are proud of what we can do, and it’s horrendously cruel to mock us in such a way. As other commenters have also said, maybe you should try it for yourself. Then you might write a fairer and more rounded report.

Oh no, wait – you just sit on the sidelines and make comments that completely undermine our sport and our talents. That makes sense.

8. I was totally shocked by this report! You were successful in insulting both participating teams, along with all the olympic trampolinists out there (yes it is an olympic sport!).
    I competed in the intermediate section and thought your comments about the novice and intermediate categories were entirely unnecessary. I think i speak for all the others in those categories by saying that we thoroughly enjoy the sport and try our very best. You may not view us as “impressive” or you may feel we “didnt know what we were doing” but every person competing performed to their full potential. The amazing thing about this completely RELEVANT SPORT is that it allows individuals with varying skill to enter. As someone said above, even the elite trampolinists were novice at one point!
    I would love for whoever wrote this report to try and get onto a trampoline infront of a load of people and do one of the routines. I know I (and probably the rest of my team) would not be in a hurry to catch you as you fall off doing some “awkward bouncing and over-zealous leg-slapping”.

Oh and one more thing, if you are going to quote it is usually best to get the statement correct…

The back of our t-shirts say “rate our positions on the bed”. This slogan is supposed to be fun and cheeky and if you had done any research at all into the sport, (which all successful journalists do) then you will have realised these kinds of slogans are very common amongst uni trampoline teams.

9. Border-line libelous, inaccurate and sexist.

10. in reading this report i sense alot of arrogance coming from the writer. a very poorly written article with little relevance to the competition. shame on you!

11. “I would love for whoever wrote this report to try and get onto a trampoline infront of a load of people and do one of the routines.”

“I would love to see whoever wrote this report have a go at this ‘irrelevant sport’, would definitely be a you’ve been framed moment, might need a paramedic on stand-by!”

etc.

The whole “you can’t criticise what we do because you couldn’t do it” argument is idiotic. If the world worked that way then every sports journalist and music critic would be out of a job. I don’t personally know whoever wrote this article, but her credentials for reporting on this event are that she is a pretty decent writer and clearly has some critical faculties. So she’s allowed to point out stuff she thinks is stupid. A lot of the commenters here seem to think that everything written in a student newspaper should be fawning propaganda.

Oh, and luke – “very poorly written”?! There’s some very poorly written stuff on Nouse, but this isn’t it.

12. She spends the first 2 paragraphs commenting on our leotards and t-shirts!! This report barely mentions anything about what actually went on on the day in terms of trampolining. She has her right to criticise, but an understanding of the sport is necessary to do this and she clearly doesn’t have a clue.

13. I can’t believe this article was actually published; it is unbelievably rude to the participants involved. The idea of roses is to commend sport and the athletes involved, not to mock them. As for the comment claiming trampolining is ‘irrelevant’ is an absolute joke, I have never participated in trampolining but i have watched it on the Olympics, and the skill and determination required for the athletes involved is massive and definite makes it relevant. For a reporter to manage to offend both teams is worth congratulating. I think little miss bitchy reporter should get of her arrogant, lazy backside and actually try the sport she is slagging off.

14. Forgive me, Gore, but is this meant to be an irreverent column on the world of trampolining, or a report on an event at Roses? The piece is being rightly slaughtered – I wouldn’t bother trying to defend it.

There is no score, no mention of participants’ names, and clearly no desire from the writer to prioritise the sport or match ahead of their own oh-so-hilarious authorial voice.

15. its perfectly ok for us to think this report is well pretty crap, considering the writer has the ability to claim trampolining is pretty crap. except in this case we have every reason to believe shes crap because of this awful report, and no reason to believe the sport is crap, because unlike her these athletes have some talent.

16. 11 May ’09 at 6:39 pm

Claire (different claire)

This report is just plain horrible, it succeeds in offending everyone mentioned from the teams taking part on both sides to the organisers of the events themselves. Trampolining is one of many alternative sports that make up roses and I whole heartedly agree it should get more respect a sentiment voiced by the author, however sarcastically. I also happen to agree- those who wouldn’t attempt it have no real right to so shamelessly attack it as a sport, this is not a journalistic critique (Gore) its a mockery of a decent sport in a decent competition, she is most welcome to voice her opinion however this should surely not be generalised to a full article taking the mick of every aspect of the sport.

Sports such as trampolining are a huge part of the university atmosphere as well as being taken seriously in many other competitions, it is a sport that creates a huge deal of enjoyment from both those participating and many of those watching or supporting their teams, and anything written about it should surely be representative of this fact especially in light of showing support for university cmpetition.

I’d like to say a congratulations to everyone taking part in this event and many others at roses, something the author completely neglects. Be it mainstream football/rugby or more abstract sports it takes a lot of training and dedication to be a part of a team and represent something you enjoy doing competitively.

17. Quite frankly, I don’t want to know what this journalist’s biased opinions are, nor do I want to know how qualified they think they are to have these opinions. All this article does is insult Lancaster’s hard work and effort, rather than congratulating those who bothered to get involved and giving a decent report on the day. How does this promote sport and encourage others to take part, regardless of their ability? Furthermore, who does this person think they are, deciding whether a sport is relevant or not? I think this author is extremely arrogant and I’m surprised this article was allowed to go to print.

Well done everybody (Lancaster and York) for taking part.

18. “critical faculties”: mainly about the outfits and slogans, which is not what the sport is about. Not once does she name the athletes, or describe what actually happened; what moves they did etc… This is the whole purpose of a “report”, from a self-confessed “expert”, right? Would you think a report on a football match was credible if it commented on the strip? I really don’t see the point she is trying to make, if it is supposed to be entertaining, she has failed miserably. Its insulting to people who put the hours in training, doesn’t fulfill its purpose, and, to be honest, it is quite embarrassing to read.

19. 11 May ’09 at 7:17 pm

Alcuin Student

Billy @ 6.37 – your analogy is flawed. If you followed it through correctly, it’d be something like “We don’t believe the sport is crap because of this one report, and we don’t believe the writer is crap because of this one report”

20. Ridiculous report. Have you ever seen a sports report on T.V. where the reporter abuses the sport he or she are talking about? Or read it in a newspaper, I doubt it. Really professional writing there, well done. Not.

21. And this article is considered journalism???? WOW! As has been said, for it to be factually correct reporting and not some biased ignorant slant on a sport there need to be reports on scores, categories and participants. In EVERY professional critique of a sport there are the good performers and the bad performers all laid out with their ranking and why they performed the way they did.

This piece of sensationalist op-ed, is just that opinion with absolutely no fact base to back it up! And to say that after 4 hours of viewing you are an expert…ok tell me this what is the difference between a barani and 1-in-3? How many twists does a double back have? How many rotations are there in a crash dive? When you can answer those questions I will consider you to being on the way to an expert at trampolining – when you can pull them off in a routine then I will consider you a full expert. Until then take your sensationalist, opinonating writing and burn it, I can only hope you are not on a journalism course otherwise I fear for the state of our news reporting.

22. arrogant, ignorant, self important ‘writer’ who belittles a credible sport, I don’t understand why this was published!

23. This report stands as a failure in student journalism. Though York may have won the roses, they clearly fail to win any brownie points for their reporting of it, as this article highlights just how petty some people can be! Consider the grounds upon which you are critcizing the sport. Firstly, you make note of the Lancaster team’s slogan, implying that such T-shirts are evidence highlighting the team’s lack of seriousness. However, many serious issues use humour as a veil from which to strike a message. While i doubt the Lancaster team did not intend one either way, why exactly must it be implied that it is demeaning for them to have a bit of fun with their sport?

Furthermore, you note the greater numbers from Lancaster. All that shows is that Lancaster was more committed. Mentioning their outfits in the opening sentence is highly demeaning and somewhat irrelevent. Swimmers and members of other watersports where bathing costumes…. yet I seriously doubt that would be your first note about such sports.

As for “…those who knew what they were doing were impressive, while those that didn’t were funny.”? Well, put simply, do YOU know what they were doing? Your self-proclaimed expertise will fade into insignifcance much as any potential career in journalism will, what with your shoddy writing and blatant bias.

To those who took part, both from Lancaster and York, well done. Ignore idiots like this. Nouse? Theres certainly no use in this article, except as recyclable toilet paper!

P.s. To Gore (at 6:07); The point is that despite the writers’ “critical faculties”, she has offended many people without the good graces to even praise their attempts. Such pathetic arrogance in an article is NOT good writing… it is shoddy reporting!

24. A lack of understanding is all too evident, Nouse was obviously just so desperate to cover as much as possible that they spread themselves too thinly and unfortunately the coverage of an event which many people would consider thrilling and extremely entertaining has been handed off to some clueless reporter who was roped in a to cover what they probably considered a “soft sport”.

Bit of a disgrace, rather leave it alone than write this patronising nonsense.

25. 12 May ’09 at 11:23 am

Michael R.T.R. Child

Re. the “Rate our moves on the bed” comments, is the author aware that the slogan of York’s own trampolining club is something along the lines of: “1 bed, 12 positions, 2 minutes”.

In your endo.

26. This is an embrassing piece of journalism, and god knows why you are allowed to write for a university newspaper. You are obviously a rather insecure person, and your ‘writing’ reflects this. I’m all for critique in sports writing, as long as it is relevant and can be backed up by evidence that you have obtained from the research you have done into the sport you are covering. Your ‘article’ contains none of this- it is shallow and badly written.

You are an embrassment to your field.

27. 13 May ’09 at 1:59 am

Hannah (other)

Reporter,
    I’d like to congratulate you on managing to write a COMPLETLY irrelevant article! I’m so glad that I spent my time reading 2 papgraphs on the clothing and eating habits of the participants, with a lovely section inspired by what I can only imagine was a handful of sour grapes that some of you’re atheletes coudn’t take part. I’d like to point out that this competition is an inter-varsity…not univesity students and who-so-ever is available in the surrounding area. At least you got a information filled paragraph in, the culmination turned out to be…warm ups…fabulous. Plus there was the highly interesting results you included, and the fantastic report on the manouvers employed by the contestants. I may as well have read the headline only, since I got a grand total of NO extra information from the rest of it! Thankfully you rounded the whole thing off well by saying,
    that you were amused by the efforts of people who were attempting a highly skillful and technical sport and inviting us to let you know of anything else you could have wanted.
    To be honest if I were you I’d wish for some manners, a new personality, a writing style that extends beyond petty insults and a new job because anyone with any sense will have fired you on the spot!

28. 1st of all, I find it amazing how you manage to call yourself an expert on a sport which you cannot even spell… it is trampolining, not trampoling! 2ndly, i suggest that given your “expertise” you may have considered actually concentrating on the actual competition, and appraisal of the competitors routines, rather than offer petty remarks addressed towards the competitors clothing. Although, i am sure, being the expert that you are, that all gymnastics competitors, regardless of discipline, are required to wear such attire, not only for safety purposes, but also for ease of movement… it would be rather difficult to perform 10 move routine wearing jeans! It is slightly pleasing though that you do acknowledge that the sport requires a huge amount of skill and courage, not only at elite level, but at novice level also. Spacial awareness, strength, body control timing and agility are all rather essential when performing such difficult moves.
    Contrary to your remarks that trampolining requires less organisation than other sports, it requires a great deal of preparation, not just for safety, but also in that, unlike other “relevant” roses sports such as football or rugby, a national level qualification is needed just to coach the basics, as is the same for judging the competition. I find your closing remarks extremely petty, arrogant and cheap. Without meaning to sound conceited, if it was such an irrelevant sport, i would not have spent 14 years of my life competing to a national and international level, representing Great Britain, and winning 4 british championships… yet, still do not even remotely class myself as an expert in the sport, but you are obviously just a quicker learner than i am. Unfortunately on the day, i had unchangeable prior commitments, as did other members of the york team, meaning our numbers were cut down, yet it seems that you fail to mention despite our lack of numbers (i think we had about 6 competitors to Lancaster’s 20+), we still only lost by 2 points! Sure, it is a valid point that we had less competitors, but it is hard enough for us to attract new members as it is with our very lacking support form york sport, and petty articles like this do not help. We are a friendly and welcoming club, who are happy to, and are always looking for new people to join, but when articles like this are published, it makes it a lot more difficult for this to happen… although you too are welcome to come along and show us all how it is done… don’t worry, you won’t be judged on the design of your tracksuit bottoms. Tom-York University Trampolining Club Captain.

29. What an utterly ridiculous, insulting and awful article all round. Whoever it was that wrote this should REALLY think twice before ever heading into journalism is the future. I’m extremely disappointed at having wasted a minute of my life reading this rubbish.

30. I’m a bit surprised the author hasn’t taken responsibility and apologised for this clearly substandard article. Hoping that the problem will just go away and people will forget about it is a tad immature, nor does it actually work.

31. I can’t help but notice that the writer of this article also wrote the feature ‘Crossing the Line’ which went into such explicit detail as to make me feel nauseous and which would be more at home in the News of the World than a supposedly respectable university newspaper. I think they have confused interest and readability with inflamatory sensationalism.

32. ‘camilla jenkins’, the university awaits just such an apology

33. 14 May ’09 at 8:27 am

Kieran McManus

I am outraged after reading this article. How dare the author think she has the right to not only insult both the York and Lancaster teams simultaneously, but also insult the sport itself.

This article is offensive, inaccurate and very unprofessional. I hope Camilla Jenkins is proud of what she has achieved here.

I believe an apology should be sent to both teams who competed and this article removed immediately.

This is not journalism, it is just pure s**t.

34. As far as I am concerned, this is a genuine attempt at journalism. In this article Camilla Jenkins made it quite clear that her comments comprise of her own opionion – she does not attempt to pass them off as unequivocal fact. She is entitled to her own understandings, as such.

If it makes any difference to people, as Sports Editor, I certainly do not consider trampolining as irrelevant – quite the opposite – and it gives me great pleasure to see so many people defending this sport. But I do not have an issue with this piece, editorially, simply because expressing opinions as a writer is something I try to encourage, not restrict. This being clearly the case here (do note the use of the first person throughout), it is also clear that it these are not the opinions of Nouse or its editorial.

Hope that clears up some issues. If you have further grievances, please email me:

[email protected]

Thanks, DH

35. 14 May ’09 at 10:19 am

Michael R.T.R. Child

Give the girl a break, this isn’t the most heinous crime committed in the whole of journalism. I’m sure it’s deliberately written in a slightly light-hearted manner. Trampolining is a minority sport, it’d be hard to find ANY student journalists that truly understand it – she IS an expert compared the lay-person.

36. 14 May ’09 at 11:39 am

Kieran McManus

It should not matter whether or not trampolining is a minority sport or not, it deserves the same amount of respect as any other.

Whereas I am sure that this author is capable of writing a perfectly good report, this one is a disappointment. Yes, in her defence it is her personal opinion, but with such a blatant attack on the sport and its competitors, one has to question her reasons for doing so.

Kieran McManus
    York Trampoline Club Committee Member

37. Yes, but if no authors can appreciate the sport properly, how are they supposed to write the kind of report you demand? It’s written from the point of view of an outsider and does a fine job at it. Just be glad you got some coverage at all and that it’s raised the club’s profile.

Nowhere in the article are the competitors “blatantly” attacked – indeed the author is quite complimentary and the only derogatory term used about the sport is “irrelevant” (perhaps a bad choice of word, but not an “attack”) partly because it has only 1 event garnering 4 Roses points – far less than other small sports like ballroom dancing, archery and fencing.

38. Just to let people know, Adam Shergold has appologised to the club for the article on behalf of Nouse.

Marion – Trampolining club president

39. “Yes, but if no authors can appreciate the sport properly, how are they supposed to write the kind of report you demand?” well the person who wrote the one for roses 2007 did a pretty good job at it. Research was done and the facts were correct, and yes there were actually facts in it, as opposed to petty remarks about leotards.

40. We put in a lot of hard work and training for Roses just as much as the other teams such as rugby and netball yet it seems that just because it’s a minority sport a report like this is acceptable.
    Reading the other articles reporting on different Roses events, they are very interesting, praise both teams, talk about the events of that day, different competitors, how they did and focus on details of what happened within the match. We didn’t get any of this.
    An article like this wouldn’t have been published regarding any of the other more popular sports and it shouldn’t have been published about trampolining, it’s extremely insulting.
    I don’t believe this report can be justified by a lack of knowledge, if she had really been interested in learning about the sport and offering an insightful piece of writing on it there was plenty of people around that DO know a lot about trampolining and would have been more than happy to answer any questions or offer their opinions on different performances. This, in my opinion is what a real journalist would have done.
    We deserved a proper sport report just as much as the other sports involved in Roses and I hope next year you choose someone who is not opposed to learning something new and putting some effort in to forming a real report on trampolining.

41. Yes Dan this is an ‘attempt’ at journalism. It is very poor and has little content on the actual sport at all.

An apology is deserved for those on both sides who have obviously put a lot of effort into preparing.

42. 14 May ’09 at 1:40 pm

Kieran McManus

At the end of the day, I believe this reporter may not have chosen to watch the trampolining herself, instead perhaps told to do it and instead of embracing the chance to learn about a new and interesting sport, decided to have a little moan about it. Childish to say the least.

An apology should be made.

43. WHINE WHINE WHINE. People are too used to demanding apologies just because they don’t like something… Don’t pander to them, Nouse.

44. Mike Child, I wasn’t asking Nouse for an apology. It would have been nice for the author to have apologised though. No it wasn’t a demand, there’s no point demanding apologies. You don’t have to apologise, but it at least shows you understand you messed up. Apart from that I think just about everything that needs to be said here has already been said :)

45. 14 May ’09 at 4:54 pm

not a touchy piss-pants

she has nothing to apologise for

46. Having been at the event, it was a whole lot better organised and supported than this article.

The spectators and teams seemed to enjoy it, shame you didn’t. Better luck next time, eh?

47. DO NOT ANGER THE TRAMPOLINISTS!!!!!!!!!!

YOU WON’T LIKE THEM WHEN THEY’RE ANGRY!!!!!!!!!

48. 16 May ’09 at 2:28 am

Anon (another)

I actually quite enjoyed the article. *Ducks and runs for cover*

In fact, I’d be interested to know how many non-trampolinists enjoyed it – the author was clearly approaching the subject as an outsider rather than an expert, and was not only fairly droll in her observations but also demonstrates having developed a genuine appreciation for the skill involved in the sport. Crucifying her for an off-the-cuff use of the word ‘irrelevant’ (which, as another comment above noted, reflects the low status the sport had in the championship overall and in particular to York’s victory) is not fair, and nor is the “if you don’t have experience, you can’t criticise” argument (especially since the logical counter would be, “If you don’t write for a student newspaper, you can’t criticise the work of someone who does”); certainly, I think that I would prefer this article to a puff-piece without any criticism, which is what the majority of the other comments seem to be demanding.

In short – the trampolining club should stop complaining that their feelings have been hurt. Panto Soc, after all, get slated by Nouse regularly, and usually respond with a good deal more dignity and decorum than has been displayed here.

ps. – Tom – “Without meaning to sound conceited, if it was such an irrelevant sport, i would not have spent 14 years of my life competing to a national and international level, representing Great Britain, and winning 4 british championships” – since your point appears to be that you would not trampoline if it was indeed ‘irrelevant’ (so you presumably do it for what, prestige, rather than actual enjoyment) – never mind that there is no guaranteed direct correlation between time invested and societal relevance, only between time invested and personal relevance (i.e. your trampolining may well be as relevant to you as is stamp collecting or model-train building to the person who invests 14 years of their life in these, but this is no guarantee that society as a whole regards these as equally relevant, or places the same value of relevance on them that you do) – your point being thus, yes, you do sound a bit conceited.

pps. – Hugh – “I can’t help but notice that the writer of this article also wrote the feature ‘Crossing the Line’ which went into such explicit detail as to make me feel nauseous and which would be more at home in the News of the World than a supposedly respectable university newspaper. I think they have confused interest and readability with inflamatory sensationalism.” – really? To what did you object? I thought *that* was a very good piece – and newspapers are supposed to inform, after all.

49. “DO NOT ANGER THE TRAMPOLINISTS!!!!!!!!!!

YOU WON’T LIKE THEM WHEN THEY’RE ANGRY!!!!!!!!!”

I love it! :D

50. I assume there are plenty more people like me who think this piece is perfectly fine but didn’t want to bother arguing with its rude and, occasionally, moronic detractors – many of whom clearly expected Camilla Jenkins to write some kind of advert for trampolining soc, and none of whom seem to have even a vague sense of their own ridiculousness.

So I’m glad ‘Anon (another)’ has taken the time and effort to defend this article against the criticism it has received.

51. I would just like to point out that the reporter wasn’t even there, she turned up at the end after everyone had left. I know this because she asked me what had happened and who had won. This is why this article shows a lack of understanding and is completely ignorant.

52. I’d like to point out Emma’s talking nonsense. We had intermediate updates on http://www.nouse.co.uk/2009/05/09/roses-2009-live-saturday/

53. Well-written, straight to the point. Really enjoyed it. At the end of the day, its just a bit of jumping around, we do it on our double bed with our shirts off all the time. Don’t see what the issue is here.