Mixed results for York pool teams

York Men’s captain Tom Birch ensured that York took a share of the spoils in the Pool after the women’s team were defeated by a strong Lancaster outfit

Photo: Shaun Morton

Photo: Shaun Morton

MEN: YORK 5 LANCASTER 4
WOMEN: YORK 2 LANCASTER 7

York Men’s captain Tom Birch ensured that York took a share of the spoils in the pool at Derwent Bar. After watching his team come back from 2-4 down in the series of nine matches, Birch outclassed his somewhat overawed opponent two frames to nil – with the Lancastrian failing to even pot a ball in the decisive frame.

After such an emotional roller-coaster for the side, Birch was lost for words after the climax but did praise the whole squad for the spirit and togetherness they had demonstrated during a contest that lasted the best part of 5 hours.

With YSTV providing big screen coverage, a bright start led by victories from Mike Walsh and Tom Wilson had silenced Lancaster’s noisy band of supporters. However the visitors reeled off 4 straight wins to leave York on the brink of defeat. Neil Forster held his nerve to crucially keep York’s chances alive, allowing the vastly experienced Luke Fleet to send the match to the decider.

The earlier women’s fixture saw York fall short against a very strong Lancaster outfit. Wins from Captain Zoe Paine and Lucy Mackain-Bremner gave York hope but the more experienced Lancaster eventually ran out 7-2 winners. Paine afterwards stressed the need for the women’s players to be given more opportunities to play competitively if they are to be able to compete in future with their Red Rose rivals.

Produced by York Student Television, released under a CC BY-NC-ND 2.0 license

Pool footage provided by LU Tube

York Men: Mike Walsh, Tom Wilson, Nick Vanner, Matt Robson, Greg Taylor, Guy Vine, Neil Forster, Luke Fleet, Tom Birch (c)

York Women: Beth Haggerty, Hannah Roberts, Samantha Bott, Maria Risman, Zoe Paine (c), Lucy Mackain-Bremner, Mary Edwards, Felicity Plimmer, Mel Swift