Late Lancaster goal floors women’s hockey seconds

A late Lancaster goal split the teams in Saturday morning’s women’s seconds hockey match

Picture: Arran Bowen-la Grange

Picture: Arran Bowen-la Grange

YORK WOMEN’S SECONDS 0 LANCASTER WOMEN’S SECONDS 1

York women’s seconds were the losers in the opening game of the day’s Hockey schedule this morning.

Despite large amounts of Lancaster dominance, a combination of poor finishing and strong York defence kept the visitors out for most of the match. However, with five minutes remaining, a quick incisive Lancaster attack was completed with a tidy shot to win the game for the visitors.

It was a deserved result for a team that had, apart from a period at the end of the first half, been better throughout. Lancaster knew that if they stood any chance of overturning yesterday’s sizeable Roses deficit they would have to achieve most of the points available in the Hockey. With strong support from all of their Hockey teams, the women instantly piled on the pressure.

Yet they were to come against strong and physical defending from York. Captain Theresa Jones, Sophie Hossack and goalkeeper Claire Kirby provided constant tackles, blocks and clearances to keep the points within York’s reach. As the tight first-half progressed, it was York that began to pile on the pressure – Leila Asrari and Sammi Spencer combining brilliantly to split the Lancaster defence. The best chance of the half fell to Asrari in the final few minutes but, with her eye fixed on the vacant goal, her swing failed to connect with the ball.

The home side looked as if they would continue to attack in the second half, when Sarah Cadwallader scuffed an opportunity, but Lancaster countered quickly and then plagued the York goal with a series of short corners. Kirby continued to stop all that came her way and was helped by the fact that Lancaster’s final touches were often weak. As the visitors continued to throw everything at York, what was most surprising was just how the scores were still 0-0. On the sixth-fifth minute, however, the inevitable Lancaster goal took the points to the Red Rose.

York Captain Theresa Jones said that Lancaster’s finishing had been the difference, despite the fact that they wasted countless clear chances in the second-half. Less disputable was her claim that her team had “played their hearts out”, something which both teams did in a thrilling end-to-end game of Hockey.

Produced by York Student Television, released under a CC BY-NC-ND 2.0 license

York Line Up – Claire Kirby, Leila Asrari, Millie Williams, Jess Bonham, Sammi Spencer, Theresa Jones (c), Kate Dewar, Ella McPhearson, Sophie Hossack, Emily Scott, Sarah Cadwallader
Subs – Emma Ray, Lucinda Notley, Sophie Williams