Men’s senior eights cap fine morning for York’s rowers

A narrow victory for the men’s senior eight crew meant York picked up the larger share of the Roses rowing points

Picture: George Lowther

Picture: George Lowther

A sterling performance from the men’s senior eight crew in the final race of the morning ensured York collected the majority of the available points in the Roses rowing today. The White Rose dominated the fours races, claiming first position in the women’s novice, men’s novice and men’s senior categories on the River Ouse for a total of 12 points. Lancaster came home ahead in the women’s senior four and the women’s senior eight, picking up eight points for their tally.

Competing in beautiful late spring sunshine on their home course, the historically-conscious York University Boat Club were seeking to level the overall scores in Roses rowing events at 19-apiece, the event having started the whole rivalry off back in 1965. They completed their mission serenely, as well as enjoying the added pleasure of seeing the men’s and women’s novice eights finish first in unscored races, an excellent omen for the future of the club.

The day’s first race, the women’s novice fours, was arguably it’s tightest: York holding off a strong fightback from the Red Rose after Scarborough Bridge, a landmark marking the finishing sector of the 1km course, to cross the line in front. Their male counterparts followed suit, winning by a length despite slowing up prematurely as the finish line, marked by a bright yellow traffic cone, approached.

After York bossed the women’s freshers fours, cruising home a couple of minutes before their opponents, Lancaster won in similarly imperious style in the women’s senior four, ten minutes later, for a valuable four-point haul. Confusion started to reign as an already amended schedule was further convoluted by the complication of boat sharing, delaying the men’s freshers four, which Lancaster took by a ‘nose.’

After another considerable delay, the business end of the morning’s events started with a two-length York success in the men’s senior four, earning a tidy four points, followed by the two wins in the novice eights.

With Vice-Chancellor Brian Cantor and assorted alumni dignitaries watching on from the Boat House balcony, Lancaster were comfortable four-length victors in the women’s senior eights, before York had the final word with a narrow, but thoroughly deserved, men’s senior eights win.

Produced by York Student Television, released under a CC BY-NC-ND 2.0 license

1. 10 May ’09 at 8:14 pm

The knowledge

Oh dear, an embarrasing defeat for lancaster after their domination last year. Didn’t see many of last years freshers who looked very promising on the lune!

2. that’s cos their “freshers” from last years all graduated and moved on to the real world