Hudson guides cricket firsts to Roses victory

Photo: George Lowther

Photo: George Lowther

Lancaster 121-9
York 113-6

York win by 4 wickets.

A superb unbeaten 66 from Tom Hudson secured victory for York men’s firsts in a rain hampered match. After some tight bowling by the York attack, Lancaster posted a mere 121. A revised target of 111, needed off 43 overs, was set for York after rain delayed the second innings. Opening batsman Hudson hit the winning runs in the 41st over; giving York a well deserved four wicket victory.

Elected to bat first, Lancaster got off to a nervy start with opening bowlers Nick Townson and Anthony Butterfield keeping runs to a minimum with the new ball. The pressure finally told in the seventh over; Butterfield forcing the breakthrough as the Lancaster opener edged to the keeper to make the score 23-1. Coming in for Townson at the other end was Sean Martin, who in conjunction with Butterfield piled the pressure on Lancaster with a couple of maiden overs. The tenth over saw some signs of a possible Lancaster comeback, when Townson, fresh off his spell, dropped the Lancaster opener Vishal at mid-on. The drop was immediately punished with two consecutive boundaries taking Lancaster to 39-1 after 11.

Lancaster were starting to build a good partnership when Martin trapped his man in front of his wicket. The game continued in this manner with blustery conditions keeping everyone alert and on their toes. With Andrew Emmerson supporting at the other end, the superb Martin quickly dispatched three other Lancaster batsmen to leave them reeling at 65-5 off19 overs- with a possible collapse on the cards. The middle overs were occupied by the spinners, with Emmerson and star batsman Hudson both taking a wicket apiece.

At drinks after 30 overs, Lancaster were struggling on 84-7. However, good resistance from the lower order ensured a somewhat respectable three figure total from the visitors, who were 121-9 at the end – although this was described as ‘below par on this track’. The credit though should go to the bowlers, who kept things tight, especially Martin who finished with standout figures of 4 for 22 runs off his ten overs.

Post-tea break with the ever present threat of torrential rain, York openers Ed Murrills and Tom Hudson got off to a steady start in the first ten overs. However, play was cut short as eventually the heavens opened with York still for no loss and 35 runs to the good. Due to the delays, the genius cricketing formula that is the Duckworth-Lewis method was put into use and a revised total of 111 was needed for victory off just 43 overs. Unfortunately, York lost key wickets once play resumed. Murrills was trapped leg before for (5) and soon after, Captain Nick Vanner was out for 18 after a quick cameo appearance.

Wickets fell thick and fast, with Emmerson, Rupa and Wilson falling in quick succession. Overs were running out and the target seemed more and more elusive. In stepped wicketkeeper Remi Remington, who with Hudson made good progress with some classy shots around the field. The final five overs required 22 runs for victory but that was never in doubt with Hudson and Remington more than equal to the task. Good running between the wickets accompanied by novice fielding from the Lancaster side set up Hudson to hit the winning runs two overs from the end.

The amateur fielding of Lancaster was in evidence again with York needing two runs, Hudson driving down long on for what should have been a single but slipped through for a boundary and secured the victory for York. Remington and Hudson closed down the total easily in the end and Hudson finished his knock on an unbeaten 66, definitely deserving of the Man of the Match mantle.

York’s strength in depth eventually told as they closed down the total with ease and avenged last year’s Roses defeat in Lancaster. This win can hopefully be a boost to the firsts who have had a bad start to the BUCS season.

1. The were 121 all out, not for 9!

2. Oh, sorry about that. I was worngly informed. I’ll try and get that changed.