Double badminton win for York in mixed and men’s 2nds

York’s badminton mixed and second teams delivered a double blow to Lancaster in
Friday morning’s opening event, winning their matches 8-1 and 6-3 respectively

Photo: George Lowther

Photo: George Lowther

York’s badminton mixed and second teams delivered a double blow to Lancaster in Friday morning’s opening event, winning their matches 8-1 and 6-3 respectively.

Although mixed team Captain Ricky Kanabar, paired with Nicci Farr, tasted defeat in the opening game, York recovered to settle the overall win by the end of the second round of matches, eventually rounding things off emphatically 8-1.

The seconds started off strongly: the first round pairings of Tom Gatenby/James Hor, James Somerside/Adam Hirst and Chris Ashley/Alex Chu giving York a comfortable 3-0 lead. However, defeats for the latter two pairs in the second round of fixtures meant that the game was only sewn up in the third and final rubbers.

Nevertheless, six points were gained for the York cause before the morning was out and there were real highlights for the seconds along the way, notably in the first round, where only one set was dropped.

The mixed team had just the one turbulent moment, when Kanabar and Farr lost to their visiting counterparts, but it was plain sailing from this point onwards. The other partnerships of Will Wiseman/Katie Wilson and Paddy Clarke/Natta Tritasavit were victorious in the first round, albeit the former requiring three sets. Once York had earned their advantage, they cruised through the gears with Kanabar/Farr securing the hefty four point haul with a 21-18, 21-17 win to put York into an unassailable lead at 5-1. They tidied up the match neatly in front of a large crowd, earning one of the weekend’s most comprehensive victories.

Produced by York Student Television, released under a CC BY-NC-ND 2.0 license